Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Trolley Museum, Warehouse Point, CT

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#576229  by Gerry6309

EMT Bravo New England reports a crash at Skylark Airport in a swampy area. The museum's right of way crosses this swamp. Anyone have information?
 #577334  by citystation1848

Hey, hey, hey...

CTM has been doing pretty well for the position its in. I helped them out when I was at school down in Springfield, and it seemed that at the end of my four years there the museum was doing pretty well for getting new volunteers. With their help the grounds definately look better, they've actually got a few more cars running, and this year they're bringing back Rails to the Dark Side. They've had a rough past, but the volunteers there now have a positive outlook and are working to make the museum shine.

Matt
 #578854  by ted_roy

Otto,

I agree with Matt. As an active volunteer, much good has come lately. We have more cars in operational rotation than most museums and more on the way. Yes, at times the campus does not look what is should be, but we are continuing to make progress. Buildings are getting re-painted, areas cleared, plantings renewed, and more and more cars being restored. We currently have 8+ cars in the general operational rotation, with a Type 5 planned for return to operation status next year along with a single truck open, and hopefully this winter the return of our single truck sweeper that is getting new sweeper shafts fabricated.

Otto, you should stop by on a Saturday to see just how much is going on. And of course take a ride on our beautiful trolleys.

Ted.
http://www.ct-trolley.org

#579500  by jdstrolley

Regarding the above statement concerning the CTM being closed.

Unless you are truly involved in the day to day operation of a museum you really have NO CLUE of the amount of time and effort that goes into volunteering for a museum to keep things moving. It is hard work and frustrating at times. In addtion to the "fun" jobs at the museum like car restoration, track, overhead, etc there are many times more things to do at home regarding adminstative tasks than on weekends. And most volunteers have a full time job yet.

I suggest that if you are not already a volunteer at a museum, get involved! And if you think you live too far away from a museum to volunteer, I drive 150 miles (one way) to volunteer two to three times a month! In addition to the admin work I do at home. Join as many museums as you are able to. They all need to help and the income.

Believe me, It's more than just operating trolleys!

And I am impressed with the job CTM is doing because I know first hand what is involved with making things happen. Their 355 open car is beautiful and impressive. A picture of the car in operation here would be great to see.

Joel
 #579505  by Otto Vondrak

Ah ha! You're AWAKE!! Good!! :-) I knew that "abandoned circus" bit would get some of you out of the woodwork...

Now, keep us updated and keep posting about your activities so we can stay informed. And I already have a trolley museum I drive 350 miles to volunteer at!! ;-) I want to make the visit to CTM again soon...

-otto-
 #579551  by ted_roy

Joel,

Car 355 is real beauty....

So is 1326...

And 5645 is almost ready to make her appearance....

And of course Car 836...

And Car 16

#580833  by StevieC48

Gerry6309 wrote:EMT Bravo New England reports a crash at Skylark Airport in a swampy area. The museum's right of way crosses this swamp. Anyone have information?

A small plane crashed in East Windsor, CT on September 2nd. Luckily, there were no serious injuries to the pilot or anyone else as a result.

http://firenews.org/weekly.html

Scroll down Gerry and there is a shot of it,
 #581642  by Ham549

I saw an old wooden trolley sitting on a siding outdoors and it looked in bad shape. Any worde on that one?
 #581744  by ted_roy

Ham,

Got a picture to share? We have a few cars that time has not been kind to. I would help in determining which car you are talking about..

Ted.
 #582479  by atsf sp

Does the museum have a CN electric? I think I read about it on some website, but wasn't sure if it was true.
 #582642  by Mr rt

Ham,
That is ConnCo #771 ... well actually the combination of a couple of cars from that series.
They were "surburban" Jewett's from 1904. You can see one in a little better shape at Branford, i.e. #775. A group was washing her windows last Sunday.
ATSF-SP,
The CN box cab is 6714, a GE 78 Tonner from 1913 ... she's stuffed & mounted ... i.e. gets some paint every once in a while. They also have a similar steeple cab #18 from the Oshawa Ry (Toronto) that is functional & used to pull a train of a few cars now & then. She's a Balwin-Westinghouse from 1918 & 53 tons.
 #582657  by ted_roy

Ham,

Yes, that car has since been covered. We have made strides in better protecting our collection. The main focus of our work now is to finish the work that has been started 4 cars in the collection, and complete needed maintenance on 1 other. We are looking to devise a plan for the coming years shortly but our efforts are currently going into making our end of year events as successful as possible.

Car 36 - Single truck open car - Cosmetic restoration, possible operational restoration.

Car 169 - Single truck closed car - Cosmetic restoration

Car 5645 - Boston Type 5 double truck car - Operational restoration, motors and truck work

Car 010 - McGuire-Cummings Single truck sweeper - Operational restoration, sweeper shafts, sweeper motor, Cosmetic restoration

Car 836 - Thomas-Perley New Orleans car - Operational maintenance, truck work.

Ted.