Railroad Forums 

• Conductor Interview

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#578299  by ricojames

I have been in the Navy for 9 years currently at the rank of E-7, but I'm looking to switch carreers. So far what I have read on the internet that being a conductor is a great job, but lots of time away from home, so how much time away from home are we talking? I'm used to being gone 6-9 months at a time but i was just wondering how it compares to the Navy. Also how does the pay work? Are you paid salary, hourly or by the number of runs you do. Right now I make around $55,000 a year but it took me 9 years to get there. What are some things I can expect at the interview? What exactly does the test contain? Kind of want to know what I'm getting into since I going all they way to Glasgow MT, from Chicago Il and may be ending my 9 year carreer in the Navy. I'm excited to see what this job can offer. Thanks for the help.

Rico
 #578660  by Greg Moore

Pick up a copy of this month's "Trains" Magazine to get a feel for what it takes to get hired.
 #579819  by Komachi

** Puff of smoke and Komachi appears... with his trusty Trebuchet. With an evil grin, he flings the post to the far reaches of the forum boards... to the EMPLOYMENT forum. **

** Afterward he turns his gaze to his father's '78 Chevrolet Caprice sitting in the "back forty." An evil grin spreads across his face. ** :-D