Railroad Forums 

• Surviving FM's

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#29467  by EMD567

Does anyone have link to roster of surviving FM's in US/Canada/Mexico? I'm sure that it isn't a large list, but I haven't been able to find anyplace that has all of the FM info in one place.
 #29982  by trainspot

I put one on here a few months ago, but it dissappeared. I'll PM it to you and anyone else interested.

#46443  by SRS125

Here is a list of Canadian Ships that still active FM Engions still used by some ships on the great lakes. There are no more FM Powered U.S. Ships in the U.S. Tradeing Fleet.

Ship Name Engion #engines/#of cyl /HP/ #of Props/ Speed
Agawa Canyon FM - 10-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 10 | 6,662 | 1 | 13.8
Algocen FM - 10-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 10 | 7,999 | 1 | 13.8
Algonova FM - 12-38D8-1/8 | 2 | 12 | 4,000 | 1 | 15.8
Algorail FM - 10-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 10 | 8,065 | 1 | 13.8
Algoway FM - 10-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 10 | 8,065 | 1 | 13.8
Canadian Miner FM - 12-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 12 | 8,000 | 1 | 15.0
Mathilda Desgagnes FM 10-38D8-1/8 | 2 | 10 | 3,200 | 2
Stephen B. Roman FM - 10-38D8-1/8 | 2 | 10 | 3,331
" " FM - 8-38D8-1/8 | 2 | 8 | 2,665 | 2 | 18.4
Teakglen FM - 8-38D8-1/8 | 4 | 8 | 5,332 | 1 | 16.4
Wolf River FM - 10-38D8-1/8 |1 | 10 | 1,880 | 1 | 10.4
Last edited by SRS125 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#55596  by fnwjohn

The above website lists just preserved FMs. There are actually several still around that are not in museums. The 2 on Ohio Central, the Hallet Dock unit in Duluth, the TVA H1644, and the H1244 recently listed for lease out east are 5 right off. May be others that I don't know about.
 #55643  by railroadcarmover

I own the #1845. It is presently out of service in storage and i listed it as being available for lease but it will require about a one year lead time. I also own a spare 38d8 prime mover and all the spare parts inventory for the H12-44's from Fairless Works.

I am curious if you are referring to my unit or possibly another one.

Thanks,

Pete DeFillipo

#55645  by FM/CLC Fan

fnwjohn wrote:The above website lists just preserved FMs. There are actually several still around that are not in museums...the TVA H1644
Oops, you mean H16-66, right? :wink:

#55657  by fnwjohn

If your unit is the one that was listed as for-lease a few months ago on Railswap, then yes, I was refering to this engine.

Why do you want a year's lead time on leasing, and what would your terms be on a lease. Is the 1845 RB equipped or plain bearing?
 #55665  by railroadcarmover

Yes, that was my add in Railswap :).
The long lead time allows for me to get the unit ready for service. Before i can move it i need to get some brake rigging work done. Once i get this taken care of, i will need to move it to the future shop location of my mechanic for a repair.
I need to remove the top crankshaft in order to replace the verticle shaft, which connects the lower and top crankshaft. The present shaft in my unit is the older one piece unit and it is slightly twisted. This allows for a slightly off timing crankshaft phase and causes the unit to run "out of time". I am going to upgrade this verticle shaft to a newer design that incorporates a spring coupling, which allows for better "give" upon startup of the primemover.
So these are the main reasons for the lead time. I would like to have it ready sooner but in order to work out logistics here it will take a while. It also depends if i have a sooner need to get it ready ( a pending rental for example ).

This unit was COMPLETELY rebuilt back in 1983 by Fairless Works. ( rebuilt main gen, water pump, aux gen, fan gen, prime mover rebuild ( except the shaft was never changed ), and the list goes on.
This unit was also upgraded to all EMD switchgear and Vectran remote control.
The unit at this point has brand new wheels, roller bearings, EMD trucks and EMD traction motors, EMD air intake filters, a 240 vac electric heater, and uses antifreeze for the cooling system. She transistions really well with the present setup and will be an excellent runner when finished. I also have a large inventory ( 5000lbs ) of spare parts for it, ranging from cases of brushes and oil pump rebuild kits, to a rebuilt cooling fan generator and water pump. I also have a spare prime mover ( from scrapped unit #11 for extra engine parts )

I also have been involved with getting my other unit ( U23B ex P&W #2209 ) ready for service for a rental. The other thing that i devote a fair amount of time to is buying, selling, reconditioning, and renting Trackmobiles. I have a fleet of 7 units. 2 are active rentals and the other 5 need to be reconditioned.
With all this i need to distribute my time.

Terms on a lease?
I am alittle flexible as to a lease arrangement. Email me at : [email protected] and let me know what the needs are as well as your contact info.
Sincerely yours

Pete DeFillipo
 #57489  by FM/CLC Fan

EMD567 wrote:Does anyone have link to roster of surviving FM's in US/Canada/Mexico? I'm sure that it isn't a large list, but I haven't been able to find anyplace that has all of the FM info in one place.
Was this the URL?

http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/EG5eQUVOAt ... 0Intro.htm

Found it the files section on a Yahoo! Groups site specializing in FM history and modeling.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FairbanksMorse/

#69277  by Leo_Ames

The Teakglen is no longer active. Retired by Canada Steamship Lines and sold for grain storage to go along with the Willowglen.

#121677  by GTR713

I work as a volunteer at the Canadian Railway Museum in Delson and we have a Trainmaster from CPR on display. Truly a beautiful machine.

#122015  by mp15ac

GTR713 wrote:I work as a volunteer at the Canadian Railway Museum in Delson and we have a Trainmaster from CPR on display. Truly a beautiful machine.
I was up there back in June of 2000. Very nice museum. Excellent collection of equipment. And very nice volunteers work there as well.

Stuart

#154864  by Centurylover68

What were cool were BCRs C-liner B units used as unmanned helpers. Alas, all are gone I think. :(