Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#492187  by march hare

Looking through the most recent Walthers catalog, I noticed they're now doing two different NYC flexi van flats, complete with the containers, in HO scale.

I model the grim days just before Conrail, and for the life of me I have no idea what PC was doing with this equipment at the end. Was it in ordinary piggyback service? Were there any dedicated FlexiVan trains toward the end of PC?

Did any of the containers and flat cars get repainted PC??
 #493034  by Matt Langworthy

march hare wrote:Looking through the most recent Walthers catalog, I noticed they're now doing two different NYC flexi van flats, complete with the containers, in HO scale.

I model the grim days just before Conrail, and for the life of me I have no idea what PC was doing with this equipment at the end. Was it in ordinary piggyback service? Were there any dedicated FlexiVan trains toward the end of PC?

Did any of the containers and flat cars get repainted PC??
Take a look at the photo on pgs 156-157 of Penn Central Railroad by Peter Lynch. The caption depicts a Trailvan train, which IIRC was the successor to FlexiVan for TOFC service.

#493175  by Noel Weaver

During the Penn Central period there was a mail train round trip between
New York, Penn Station and Springfield over the former New Haven.
The trains were numbered 16 and 17 and they ran usually with 2 GG-1's,
a bunch of loaded flexi vans and a former PRR caboose. I suspect that
the train probably originated or terminated in Washington, DC. It ran
between New Haven and Springfield with a freight engine, often a former
NHRR U-25b. I think the only stop on the NHRR between Springfield and
Penn Station was New Haven to change engines.
There may have been other mail trains elsewhere on the Penn Central
with this equipment but I am not sure of it.
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #493272  by JimBoylan

march hare wrote:I model the grim days just before Conrail. Was it in ordinary piggyback service?
Sometime in 1969, I remember the Westbound Juniata, from 30th St. about 2:02 p.m. to Pittsburgh, passing 52nd St. with at least one of them as head end equipment. This means that at least some of the cars were passenger equipped, with steam and signal lines.
I don't know if this car was being used in place of an express box car or mail storage car. I doubt it was being used as the checked baggage car!

#495627  by Dieter

I was trackside in Elizabeth NJ in early 1980 and I saw Flexi-Van cars go by on a Communist Rail freight and was shocked to see they were still in New York Central livery. PC seemed to do a half-posteriored effort at doing them over.

D/

#521565  by Zeke

The flexi-van equipment wound up in mail train service on the Penn side running on train nos. 8 -9 between the Meadows ( Jersey City, NJ ) and Chicago and on train nos. 10 and 11 between the Meadows and East St Louis. From 1970 to late 1974 those four trains were solid flexi-van consists plus a cabin car on the hind end till they switched over to standard TTX piggyback flats on those trains. Usual consist length varied with mail volume 20-30 cars heavy 40-50 cars. On the Penn side if the consist exceeded 50 cars they ran a Harrisbug section with a H designation such as MAIL 8-H. They also ran as Noel stated over the NEC on mail 12 and 13 between NY and Washington D.C. They were notorious for having lousy brakes and a special instruction in the PC air brake book was added regarding operation over 60 mph. We used to run them at passenger train speeds of 80- 90 mph if the cabin car was a mail train cabin car with high speed trucks. They will run at 110 mph as I saw it done early one morning with six E- units and 40 cars. LOL

#530734  by Dieter

When did Flexi-Van service stop, or should I ask when did they retire that equipment outright?

D?

#530936  by Noel Weaver

Dieter wrote:When did Flexi-Van service stop, or should I ask when did they retire that equipment outright?

D?
I believe the last use of this equipment was for mail trains that formerly
use express and baggage cars. As the mail contracts were lost, the
Flexi-Van equipment was removed from active service, probably in the
early 70's for the most part.
Noel Weaver

#531004  by RSD15

I believe the last use of this equipment was for mail trains that formerly
use express and baggage cars. As the mail contracts were lost, the
Flexi-Van equipment was removed from active service, probably in the
early 70's for the most part.
Noel Weaver[/quote]

the last mail trains on the central side were i believe 1973.it was quite a sight to see four E7s, sometimes in ABBA sets,still holding down mail train assignments in their old age.

anyone know where the central side trains went Boston? NewYork?

charles

#531564  by TomNelligan

RSD15 wrote: anyone know where the central side trains went Boston? NewYork?
Both, as I recall. It was really neat to see those multi-E-unit lashups on the B&A.

Re:

#547624  by PRSL2005

PRRGuy wrote:Are there any flexi van cars or trailers left? I don't recall any being preserved in a museum.
I have some pics of flexi van trailers here in South Jersey used for storage. Would anyone like to see them??
 #555458  by PRSL2005

#943398  by G-Andy

These pics are great...esp. the rear shot with the lowered rear crash guard..Thanks!