Railroad Forums 

• A Rolling Meet with Amtrak!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#4715  by zwsplac

I got a cheap thrill this morning when I went down to Ellinor Jct. to watch Amtrak trains 3 and 4 go by this morning. I was runnning just a tad late, and as I approached the final half mile to Ellinor, I could see that #3 was already passing through the junction, and would meet me on the road. This gave me an idea, so I flashed my lights at him to get his attention,(this was 230 in the morning!), and then dimmed my lights, like trains do when they pass. To my great surprise and pleasure, he dimmed his lights, and tooted his horn at me as we met! It was really cool, almost as cool as having 10 trains pass in the next two hours. Couldn't see them too well though, as there was no moon, only stars.
 #4774  by ohle

I take it you didn't get any pics of this meet. Have you ever gotten any night - time or Day-time pics of Amtraks on that route?

If so, I'd like to use them in my Southwest Chief pic page, located on the Amtrak Photos link below.

-Doug, formerly of Manhattan, Kan.

#5411  by zwsplac

No, no pictures, only memories. While I'm on spring break though, I may try some night shots of Amtrak trains 3 and 4. Their schedules seem to have been slightly changed though, so I'll have to figure them out again. Do you know if they still meet between Newton and Ellinor if their on schedule? I'd like to photograph them meeting.
 #5449  by ohle

I've relayed your question to an Amtrak agent I know. I'll post his reply when I recieve it.
-Doug
 #6256  by zwsplac

I just found an Amtrak schedule online.
Train 3 is due in Newton at 0306 while Train 4 is due at 0252. This would have them meeting at Walton Ks. if both were on time.

#6312  by ohle

According to that Amtrak agent I know who works out of Newton, Kan....

When both are right on time, they can meet at the Newton depot. No. 4 can leave at 252a (on-time) and pull east about one train length and wait for No.
3 to arrive. No. 3 can arrive as early as 256a (due out at 306a). Of course it doesn't always work this way.

They can meet west of the depot (there is approximately 5 miles of double track here). Otherwise one of the many sidings in Kansas has to suffice.

--

Hope this helps. It would be nice to see what type of photos could come out of an oh-dark-thirty shoot.

My Southwest Chief pic page has many other daylight photos of Kansas and all the states the great train runs through.