Railroad Forums 

• NYGL and Port Jervis roundhouse area

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#502382  by Otto Vondrak

So I heard over the summer that NYGL was in negotiations with the city to rebuild the roundhouse at Port Jervis, then bring the rest of their equipment there and use the roundhouse as their new base of operations. Erie 833 and associated passenger cars are still in Binghamton. Anything happening with the Port Jervis roundhouse?

-otto-
 #502457  by blockline4180

Otto Vondrak wrote:So I heard over the summer that NYGL was in negotiations with the city to rebuild the roundhouse at Port Jervis, then bring the rest of their equipment there and use the roundhouse as their new base of operations. Erie 833 and associated passenger cars are still in Binghamton. Anything happening with the Port Jervis roundhouse?

-otto-
Don't know, but I was told that the GP9 that was there over the summer/fall was sent back to Passaic/Garfield for the Dundee Spur operations.. That made me rather curious as to what is going on up there!
 #502481  by henry6

And the rest of thier stuff sits in Binghamton!

#502521  by Erie-Lackawanna

It's still in Binghamton due to some equipment issues that need to be resolved. Eventually it will all go back to PO.

Jim

#502681  by Steamtown Observer

Yes, I think we've got the equipment issue squared, but what of the roundhouse site?
Port Jervis already had plans drawn up to build three stalls of the roundhouse, I'm not sure which section they planned on using. These plans also had some sort of retail structures either attached or on the grounds. I think this stuff is going to be hashed out and/or redesigned by the city and NYGL. I think all the NYGL equipment will be in town by the Spring but I don't know when you might start to see a structure go up.

#502854  by Steve F45

Otto Vondrak wrote:I have been told off-forum by a reliable source that construction should begin this spring.
Thats very good news to hear. Though it will only be 3 stalls, if there is a small retail store of sorts does anyone think they'll have anykind of public viewing area of the inside of the roundhouse? Maybe watch anykind of restoration that would be possibly beeing done.

#502864  by Otto Vondrak

I haven't seen any drawings, but this is meant to be a working shop, not a Steamtown tour. I'm sure there will be the inevitable open houses, but time will tell.

#503371  by Steve F45

yesterday i decided what the hell, why not email the mayor or atleast someone who reads/answers the mayors mail. So I did, emailed the PJ mayor about the roundhouse and got this response back.
Steve,

The long term plan is to construct a, portion, replica of the round house to house a rail car/engine restoration company and possibly a museum. Excursions, from PJ west are also part of the plans.
The catch is the property is contaminated from the railroad and needs to be cleaned up. This process may take a year or more but the process is underway.

Gary
Mayor's Office

#503481  by pumpers

yesterday i decided what the hell, why not email the mayor or atleast someone who reads/answers the mayors mail. So I did, emailed the PJ mayor about the roundhouse and got this response back.
Why did you go and do that and get real facts from someone who really knows and publicly post them and the source? It's more fun to guess at rumors and repeat other postings from other forums and make stuff up.

#503484  by ricebrianrice

Steve,
Isn't it amazing what you can find out when you just ask.

Sound good for PJ.

#503622  by Steve F45

pumpers wrote:
Why did you go and do that and get real facts from someone who really knows and publicly post them and the source? It's more fun to guess at rumors and repeat other postings from other forums and make stuff up.
I know its fun to post rumors or "my friend heard from someone who works for a railroad, etc" but we all know how those threads end up here. I'de rather keep the thread going with stuff that is true and factual. :P

#503648  by Otto Vondrak

Why is posting rumors fun? The information I got came from a source close to the subject who did not want his identity revealed. Glad the mayor's office was able to offer some info. Steve45 did well taking the initiative.

-otto-

#503689  by joshuahouse

Otto did your source also speak of excursions westward from PJ? I think I remember the lease for the line from NS either specified that those were not allowed or specified an insurance premium that was astronomical.