Railroad Forums 

• What were the BN major Shops?

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #46295  by AmtrakFan

What were the BN's major Shops before the Merger? I know their is on in Burlington, IA but were their any major others?

AmtrakFan

#49767  by MR77100

I'm sure Clyde Yard in Cicero, IL had some major shops.

#49788  by cb&q bob

They had many smaller, running repair shops scattered around the system. The only heavy rebuild shops I can think of were Livingston, Mont. and West Burlington, Iowa. I'm sure they inherited at least one from the Great Northern But I'm not sure which one it was. Havre Mont.?

#50570  by AmtrakFan

cb&q bob wrote:They had many smaller, running repair shops scattered around the system. The only heavy rebuild shops I can think of were Livingston, Mont. and West Burlington, Iowa. I'm sure they inherited at least one from the Great Northern But I'm not sure which one it was. Havre Mont.?
I know their is a Shop in Havre, MT.

AmtrakFan

#53713  by arnstg

If you want to go way back, visit the Walter Payton Restaurant in Aurora,Il. I believe it is one of oldest roundhouses still in existence.

The roundhouse is a great restaurant and an adjacent building, which has been updated, is used by Metra. So if you are in Chicago, just take Metra on the West line to the last stop and walk to restaurant.

By the way, a weekend pass is only $5.00 which is good Saturday & Sunday for unlimited trips on all but the Electic Division.
 #53716  by Komachi

Didn't the "Hill Lines" (NP/GN) have a major shop complex in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? Wouldn't BN have used it as well? (Mind you, I'm not very knowledgeable about BN and its predicessor roads, I'm just making an assumption here.)
 #55716  by spalmer

OK... here goes:

If you define "major" as one designed for complete re-builds, the answer is ONE.
BN had one "back shop" (major overhauls) at W. Burlington, IA

Other diesel shops:

Northtown (Minn.-St. Paul)
Interbay (Seattle)
Lincoln, NE
Alliance, NE
Springfield, MO
Denver, CO
Havre, MT
Galesburg, IL
Cicero, IL
Kansas City, MO
Livingston, MT (BN closed it in mid 80's ?)

I *think* this is a complete list (or near complete). Mind you, this does not include the numerous "minor repair" facilities that were scattered across the system. Hope this helps!

Stan

#55745  by AmtrakFan

Mr. Palmer,
Thanks for your help also yes Livingston did close in 86.

AmtrakFan
 #59118  by 2nd trick op

The Lincoln Shops were actually located at a point designated as Havelock, about four miles northeast of downtown. The neighborhood is readily accessible from US 6 (Cornhusker Highway). It was still home to considerable activity and had some fine historic architechture when I lived in Nebraska during 1999-2000.

For a great reference on CB&Q throughout Nebraska, try locating a copy of Alfred Holck's "The Hub of Burlington Lines West" (1991).

#63357  by GN 599

Dont forget about the old SP&S shops in Vancouver WA. How do you think they kept all of those Alco's running? That is why all of the ex-NP Alcos ended up out West was to concentrate the Alco's near the Alco savvy shop of the former SP&S. :wink:

#64284  by Engineer Spike

One time I was the engineer on a westbound empty coal train. I was coming up W. Burlington Hill. An eastbound load lost a unit. I was told to cut off my train, grap a freshly shopped unit out of the shop. I then handed it off through the crossover to the eastbound. That was good because I got to claim the unit in my consist. More weight on drivers=more $$$.
 #152175  by kelsokid18

I doubt this shop is a major system shop but there is a fueling rack and diesel repair shop at Pasco, WA. I'm curious as to whether or not this was a "Hill Line" shop prior to the BN merger and now whether or not its being used on the BNSF. I would think that it would be stupid to have a shop in Pasco when Interbay (Seattle) is so damn close anyway.

#384120  by mnrailfan

Dont forget the former GN carshops in Waite Park, Mn, Jackson St Roundhouse in the Twin Cities, and the former NP shops in Brainerd,MN.
 #384974  by GN 599

kelsokid18 wrote:I doubt this shop is a major system shop but there is a fueling rack and diesel repair shop at Pasco, WA. I'm curious as to whether or not this was a "Hill Line" shop prior to the BN merger and now whether or not its being used on the BNSF. I would think that it would be stupid to have a shop in Pasco when Interbay (Seattle) is so damn close anyway.
The facilitys at Pasco are ex-NP. They serviced the SP&S power there too.

#387776  by brokenrail

Don't forget the GN shop in Spokane: Hillyard. I believe it was their major shop.