Railroad Forums 

• tripod shots without a tripod

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#493701  by RussNelson

Of course, we all know that sometimes railroad officials get grumpy about tripods, and even monopods. Well, here's a clever idea which should work nearly as well, without causing concern on the part of officialdom: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1041948/1 ... he_tripod/
Basically, you put a short 1/4-20 bolt and washer into your tripod hole, and then tie a string to it which you step on and pull tight.

#493718  by dj_paige

Well, the price is right! It sure beats buying expensive image stabilization lenses. So, has anyone actually tried taking photos using this device? Can you post some examples?

#493719  by pennsy

Hi Russ,

Excellent suggestion. I have talked about it for some time now on several threads. Can't claim to be the inventor, since it is standard operating procedure with professional photographers such as the one that trained me. It is in their textbooks.

I will add the other part of the suggestion; arrange for the monopod to fit into an empty 35 mm film cassette holder. You tape that to your camera strap, or in my case, the strap for the camera case. I also have a second film cassette holder taped to that strap, and it holds a spare roll of film. That way you don't run out of film either.

Again, as long as the string is kept taut, the camera will NOT shake. As an aside, should you be using a long lens, attach the monopod to the mounting screw hole on the long lens, for futher stability, and hold the entire camera by the long lens, in the palm of your hand. The center of gravity of the assembly is within the long lens.

#493919  by dj_paige

Example of images taken with and without the $1 tripod (not train related).

1/20s f4.0 ISO 500, Nikon 70-300G lens handheld, 100% crop

1/20s f4.0 ISO 500 Nikon 70-300G lens using $1 tripod, 100% crop

That's quite a noticeable improvement at 1/20s using what is a relatively heavy and long lens. I think if I go out and buy a better string (one that is less stretchy), the results would be even more dramatic.

#493941  by uhaul

Very enterprising indeed.

#493955  by pennsy

Not bad for an ISO/ ASA of 500. The grain is pretty good. I might also mention that the string monopod allows the ability to follow motion. With a reasonably high shutter speed and some fast film, such photographs will easily make the magazines. The one that comes to mind is an ice skater braking on the ice, with ice particles flying towards the lens. High shutter speed really fast film and you can pick out the individual pieces of ice coming towards you. The photographer, a professional and my mentor, placed his hand over the lens after taking the shot. The particles of ice went all over us.