Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#469035  by skitraindance

My wife drives from Cedar Knolls to Harrison every morning to take the PATH train to World Trade Center. This drive is necessary because the current waiting llist for parking at Morris Plains or Morristown NJT stations is in excess of 4 years. In the last year construction has closed most of the commuter lots in Harrison. My wife has a monthly pass at Central Parking which operates the lots closest to the Harrison PATH Station. 50% of the monthly available parking has been eliminated. The question is, once the construction is completed, what wil be the availabiity of parking at Harrison for commuters that have been excluded from using their local NJT stations due to inadequate parking.

#469313  by B0000rt

How much does she pay a month for parking?

Maybe it would be easier/cheaper for her to drive the Union train station (ample parking space) and take the Raritan Valley line to Newark to hitch a ride on the PATH?

(Parking is $60 a month and $60 for the monthly NJT Pass)

#470315  by skitraindance

Parking at the lot adjacent to the Harrison station is $140.00 per month. Net saving would be $20 a month to drive to Union . Commute time from Cedar Knolls according to Yahoo maps woulld be exactly the same at 26 minutes. The additional 11 minute ride on the Rariton Valley line (assuming on time performnce) and lets say 5 minutes transfer time at Newark means an additional half hour per day commute. My wife will spend the extra $20 amonth as long as parking is available at Harrison.

The question however was, does anyone know just how many commuter parking spaces will be eliminated at Harrison due to new development? I can't find any maps of the proposed development that indicate how much commuter parking space is going to be replaced by development.
 #473193  by Badfish740

skitraindance wrote:50% of the monthly available parking has been eliminated.
I have a job interview in the city tomorrow and was planning on taking the PATH from Harrison since I have meeting in the morning in West Orange. Is it unlikely that I'll be able to get a spot on Frank Rodgers Blvd? I scheduled myself really tightly so if I spend too much time driving around Harrison looking for parking I'll be screwed.
 #475069  by blasito

It is my understanding that part of the development at Harrison is a large parking facility that will be for both commuters using the PATH station as well as visitors to the new stadium. The current date for the stadium completion is mid 2009. I don't know if the parking will be sooner or later.
 #480621  by greyt88

Tried parking today in Harrison around 9 AM today, 12/17, and there were no spots. Even the most distant parking lots were filled, and there was lots of traffic from people trying to find out where to go.

Over the last couple of months, at least 50% of the parking spots have been removed by the city's eminent domain "program." Central Parking has jacked up its prices and spots are only available far from the PATH station (unless you get there very early).

The situation will only get worse on 1/1/08 when the rest of Central Parking's Monthly lot (the one right next to the PATH station) is taken over by the city and demolished.

My recommendation is to stay away from Harrison unless you get there very early.

#480734  by lancer

I have been parking at Harrison for the better part of a year and the recent changes have been creating havoc.

This morning, though was a new kind of pain. Side walks and parking lots cover covered in ice for blocks. Does any one own any salt near there? My usual lot was full way before I got there, so I ended up at “daycare parking” some blocks from the station and was allowed to park only because I was a monthly parking refugee from another lot, otherwise I would have been screwed. As it was, I was half an hour late.

If you are a casual parker, you now need to be there before 8.30am or all bets are off.

Now I am off to make sure my car is still there.

Regards

#480976  by greyt88

Does anyone know if the situation in Harrison improved today?

#481001  by lancer

Seemed to only get worse.

Again my lot (Comprelli ) was full by 8.30am (This only started happening once the Somerset St demolitions started)

Went to Central Park on south 3rd and paid $8 for valet parking. This took 20 minutes to get into.

It seem that you must lock into a monthly pass now (if you can get one)
Or
Get there before 8.20am

Regards

Lancer

#481053  by greyt88

I've parked at Central Parking for several years. I used to get in there after 9 and get a spot in the front row (and only pay $6). Recently, I've been parking in the back for the $8 and figured it was going to go to valet as more parking lots were closed.

Did they close the Central Parking Monthly lot right next to the PATH station? It was slated to be demolished on January 1st.

#481061  by lancer

Yes, the lot right by the path stairs is now closed. What was left of the open air lot had been shrinking over the past 2 month as they progressed with the demolition of the Somerset St building, but on Monday they finally closed it. Now it is just a walk way to the Path stairs.

I am really fearful that the next 18 month are going to bring nothing but rate hikes and full lots earlier and earlier in the morning. I work in lower Manhattan and my commute can’t be a crap shoot every morning. I had previously thought about getting a monthly pass, but was complacent over the summer. Now is the time to find one, If I can.

Regards

Lancer

#481066  by greyt88

lancer wrote:Yes, the lot right by the path stairs is now closed. What was left of the open air lot had been shrinking over the past 2 month as they progressed with the demolition of the Somerset St building, but on Monday they finally closed it. Now it is just a walk way to the Path stairs.

I am really fearful that the next 18 month are going to bring nothing but rate hikes and full lots earlier and earlier in the morning. I work in lower Manhattan and my commute can’t be a crap shoot every morning. I had previously thought about getting a monthly pass, but was complacent over the summer. Now is the time to find one, If I can.

Regards

Lancer
Well that explains the overflow. I thought I had to January 1st, but evidently they closed it before the demolition. It may soon be time to find other options, such as Newark, but I'm not sure if the situation is much better there either.,

#481288  by arrow

I think the Harrison PATH is going to become less and less used as time goes on. As it is now, 90% of the people there during rush hours are there only because they park there, not because they live or work around there.

#484773  by ryanov

I've always thought very little of driving most of the way to work to get to work. There are plenty of ways to get to a train station (bus, on foot, bicycle) that do not involve parking, and many towns these days have shuttles. I can understand Park N Rides for areas that have no train station, but those are few and far between in northern NJ.
 #760213  by TREnecNYP

Check back, there is a large parking garage right next to the station. Happy now? :wink:

- A