Railroad Forums 

• Old tintype photo of conductor with no markings

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#457569  by clampe1066

Greetings!

I recently purchased a tintype of a young man who looks like he is wearing a train conductor outfit. There are no badges or other identifying marks that I can see but he has something striped around the middle of his chest. Also, it looks like his coat or vest has buttons on the left breast. Tintypes are often reversed images but not always so I'm trying to determine if this one is reversed or not. I have found a few examples of general vests with the buttons on the left breast but most have them on the right. I would estimate that this photo was taken between in the 1860's or 1870's...maybe a bit later.

Can anyone tell me anything about when this might have been taken or what railroad or area it might be from. Also, is there anything to indicate the picture is reversed (i.e., something on the left side that normally is on the right).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... 1192745027