Railroad Forums 

• Rail America buys CSX Columbus - Cinncinnati line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#44916  by emtboo

I was recently on the Rail America web site and they had a posting stating that they have purchased the CSX line from Columbus to Cinncinnati that goes through the Washington Courthouse. I believe it will be placed in their Indiana and Ohio subsidiary. I'm guessing that CSX found this line redundant since they have the old Conrail main through Springfield to use. Also, I haven't heard anything about the Chicago, Fort Wayne and Eastern. Has anyone seen operations on the old PRR Fort Wayne line since this Rail America subsidiary took over on August 1st? Apparently they are basing crews out of Lima, Ohio and Fort Wayne, Indiana. One more thing I was wondering, has anyone heard anything on the CSX Newark lines to Fredricktown, Zanesville and Cabridge? Possible sale, abandonment, lease? Thanks, that's all I have for now.

JOHN

#44981  by Hoosier Joe

The C,F &E runs one train a day on weekdays from Fort Wayne to Decatur.Power is a pair of GP38's. Joe G.
 #45001  by RailMike

emtboo wrote: I'm guessing that CSX found this line redundant since they have the old Conrail main through Springfield to use.
Actually, I thought the old New York Central (later Conrail) main through Springfield became part of Norfolk Southern with the breakup of Conrail. Does CSX have trackage rights?

#45030  by railohio

So much to cover...

1.) Norfolk Southern operates the former Conrail line from Cincinnati to Columbus, not CSX. The line, known as the Dayton District, hosts about a dozen trains a day including I&O trackage rights movements. In Cincinnati from Evendale to NA the line is part of the directional running system setup by NS and CSX in 2000 to ease congestion. This short segment is the only CSX operation on the line.

CSX deemed the Midland Subdivision surplus because of it's operating pattern. The line is unsignaled and includes many short sidings. All of their priority traffic between Columbus and Cincinnati operates north on the Toledo Sub to Sidney, east on the Indianapolis Line to Ridgeway, and south on the Scottslawn Secondary to Columbus.

2.) The Chicago, Ft. Wayne & Eastern is operating their trackage daily, weekends are no exception. They are basing locals in Warsaw, Ft. Wayne, Decatur, and Lima with road freights operating to and from Chicago for interchange to the IHB at Blue Island.

3.) I thought the C&N, Lake Erie, and Central Ohio Subs were to be conveyed to RailAmerica along with the Midland Sub but that may have changed prior to the public announcment being made.

#45357  by MR77100

RailAmerica should be careful that they do not end up like Indiana Hi-Rail; purchasing lines all over the place and not having the money to maintain them.

#45492  by tocfan

See the Ohio Central thread from a few days ago, they got most if not all of the lines east of Columbus.

Mike