Railroad Forums 

• Early 1980s action

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#111061  by Otto Vondrak

Found these neat photos of early 1980s KCS action- especially the F units on their last legs on the coal trains through Texas...

http://www.railpixs.com/kcs/kcs.html

#111095  by AmtrakFan

Thanks for sharing those neat Photos.

#146422  by Amtrak31

Otto, those are some sharp looking engines, and thanks for sharing the photos with us. :-)

#421677  by staffhog

I was brakeman and then conductor, at different times, on the Tidewater Turn pictured here at Monticello delivery track. Texas Utilities mined lignite coal in Hopkins county, Texas, 35 miles north of this site. Tugco was the name of coal loading facility. The cab units of the 5 unit "F" consist were powered while the "B" units were home shopped slugs. I spent many hours waiting got Texas utilities to deliver the empties, there at Monticello so we could haul 'em back north.

#431682  by Tadman

What is the name of the electric line that serves the power plant from that interchange in the photo above?

#437094  by staffhog

Texas Utilities. Known on the KCS as Tugco. They have expanded since these photos were taken. I retired in 2002 and not sure of the track layout, at present. I know they extended one of the receiving traks to accomodate the Wyoming coal trains and added more tracks adjacent to this track for the lignite train.