Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#434372  by NHN503

Cool, nice new paint! Could use some black or red nose stripes to make it look cooler.

I think the boxcars have been there for a LONG time, getting to them when they can.

#434381  by toolmaker

I like the paint too. Looks really sharp!

Are they going to be taking the string of SLA TOFC's stored in Whitefield to the scrapper next? I was there last night taking pictures and wonder if they will be move out the cars soon. There's trees gowing up between the couplers on a few of them.

#434548  by highrail

Just south of the repair shop that was in a couple of the photos is a hand operated turntable...very cool. It is right by the side of the road. A pretty rare find these days

#434612  by Dick H

In the good old days, the Maine Central used that turntable to turn the snowplow that was often needed on that line to Beecher Falls Vermont.

Does anyone know if the New Hampshire Central has to have a pilot or have the SL&A move their locomotive between North Stratford and Groveton to reach the Groveton to Whitefield line, or do they have running rights from the SL&A?

Also, is the NHCR still doing car repair work for the SL&A at their shop?

Dick

#435112  by thebigham

Ian MacMillan wrote:Cool, nice new paint! Could use some black or red nose stripes to make it look cooler.

I think the boxcars have been there for a LONG time, getting to them when they can.
Are they repairing them? Scrapping them?

#435242  by NHN503

thebigham wrote:
Ian MacMillan wrote:Cool, nice new paint! Could use some black or red nose stripes to make it look cooler.

Are they repairing them? Scrapping them?
Both, depending on customer.

#435290  by SLR 393

I believe they are a contract repair shop doing work for GE railcar leasing. SLR leases a lot (if not all???) from GE.

Are there still strings of cars sitting on the line between the car shop and colebrook?

#435388  by coosvalley

Here's a shot of her at Hazens, picking up cars from CSRR

#435509  by bozotexino

That looks like a pretty professional paintjob on the 1732. Some outfits simply slap the new paint on (sometimes even with brushes & rollers!), but this looks like decent effort with thorough surface prep. I do agree, however, that the scheme would benefit greatly from some nose stripes! Also, the shade of red used for the lettering is weak - it should be much bolder.

Their flag etiquette could also use some work. American flags located on the right flanks of vehicles are generally "reversed", with the star field at upper right. This is done to present the flag as if it was waving in the wind when the vehicle is moving forward. Even Guilford has this figured out:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20070 ... 516309.jpg

Bozo

#435553  by SLR 393

I liked the LV paint with New Hampshire Central on the RS-3. Thats what I am going with for the layout, it looks cool. This scheme just doesn't excite me at all for some reason. Nose stripes would help.

#435613  by NHN503

I think it would have to be hash stripes though, Sargent stripes I don't think would look right.

#435615  by toolmaker

Why not just paint a nice red nose?

#435625  by toolmaker

bozotexino wrote:
Their flag etiquette could also use some work. American flags located on the right flanks of vehicles are generally "reversed", with the star field at upper right. This is done to present the flag as if it was waving in the wind when the vehicle is moving forward. Even Guilford has this figured out:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20070 ... 516309.jpg

Bozo
Well, what happens when they run long nose forward?

#435759  by bozotexino

toolmaker wrote: Well, what happens when they run long nose forward?
That's an interesting point, but the unit does have one end designated as Front. Whether they're moving in forward or reverse, I still think it's more aesthetically pleasing to have a reversed flag on the right side. Obviously, they have to choose one direction or the other for the flags, so why not configure them correctly for forward movement? You would expect any diesel (other than a center-cab) to look odd when running backwards anyway (and yes, I know that some diesels are setup to run long-hood forward, but this one is not). Just my humble opinion...