Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail to Rhode Island Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#385582  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for posting the article. I find it interesting that Amtrak and MBTA haven't worked out anything yet--at least as far as we know. Could it be that Amtrak is being "difficult"?

#385798  by mental757

well, the MBTA has agreed to provide 8 roundtrips between Boston and the new stations in RI. Amtrak service to the airport is on hold pending negotiations between RIDOT, MBTA, and Amtak, but yes, I've heard that Amtrak has been asking for absorbiant 'air rights' at the new stations as well as enormous track upgrades to provide the service (more than what is really required). You'd think they would want to at least stop the metroliners at the airport (are the non-acelas even called metroliners anymore? - sorry) to grab any more riders (and revenue) they could - it's not like Amtrak is rolling in profits or anything...

#399432  by mental757

Bids for the pre-cast concrete that will make up the huge station and parking garage as well as for modifications to the front of TF Green Airport have gone out and I have heard that work will begin this summer...

#406596  by mental757

PBN:

"Construction to begin on intermodal facility
WARWICK – Gilbane Building Co., the construction manager for the Warwick Intermodal Facility, and PB Americas Inc., the project manager, have been begun planning a number of projects for the $222.5 million transportation hub, slated to open in late 2009.

Construction in the hourly lot and utility work on streets adjacent to the facility are among the first visible jobs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
“The Intermodal will truly revolutionize the way people travel to and from the area and T.F. Green Airport in particular,” said Mark Brewer, president and CEO of the R.I. Airport Corporation. “By providing travelers with extended options for commuting throughout the region, Rhode Island will continue to establish itself as a significant force in the New England transportation system and economy.”

The station will serve MBTA commuter trains traveling from Boston and Providence and will include a consolidated facility for airport rental car operations. The garage will have 2,200 spaces for rental car operators and 1,000 for rail commuters.

The project also includes a 1,250-foot enclosed skywalk, with moving sidewalks, to help shuttle passengers to and from T.F. Green."

http://www.pbn.com/stories/25667.html

#434810  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for posting the article. Sounds like the thrust will be commuter-oriented, at least initially. Eight round trips a day will hardly attract strong intermodal ridership, ie. plane to train. Maybe more trips are envisioned for the future?

#434930  by paulrail

I see we are right into the negative;....bam, a great event is announced and right away,......"eight trains won't be enough to attract riders!! Why does this always happen on these forums? Gee, ,...give something a chance before "it won't work" or "that can't be done". You know, YOU might just be plain wrong! :(

BTW, will the MBTA trains run on the third freight track (as currently planned) to Davisville and then switch over to the NEC and run on Amtrak to Kingston? Or will the T run on Amtrak's NEC all the way to Kingston?

Anyone have an idea of what will happen?

#434996  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

paulrail wrote:I see we are right into the negative;....bam, a great event is announced and right away,......"eight trains won't be enough to attract riders!! Why does this always happen on these forums? Gee, ,...give something a chance before "it won't work" or "that can't be done". You know, YOU might just be plain wrong! :(

BTW, will the MBTA trains run on the third freight track (as currently planned) to Davisville and then switch over to the NEC and run on Amtrak to Kingston? Or will the T run on Amtrak's NEC all the way to Kingston?

to answer the first part, more than eight trains is going to be difficult because there is no room to add more than eight trains on the NEC, too much traffic

and the MBTA will need to use the 3rd rail because K-cars dont have the clearance south (RR west) of Providence

#435015  by obienick

Did they really not build the catenary tall enough? Sounds like a dumb move by Amtrak if that is the case. Or, have the Kawasaki's just not been tested to see if they fit?

#435130  by jck

paulrail wrote:I see we are right into the negative;....bam, a great event is announced and right away,......"eight trains won't be enough to attract riders!! Why does this always happen on these forums? Gee, ,...give something a chance before "it won't work" or "that can't be done". You know, YOU might just be plain wrong! :(

I don't think 8 trains a day (mostly during the rush hours with no weekend service) are going to be convenient for people using the airport. At least initially, the service will probably be far better for commuters than airport users, which I believe was the previous poster's point.

I don't think stating such is being negative, it's just reality. You'd need more frequent service (and weekend service) before it really would be useful for flying.

#435177  by mental757

a few points:

1) the extended service, at least this phase, will go to Warwick (TF Green Airport) and Wickford Junction.

2) later phases call for further extenstions to Kingston and Westerly as well as possible new stations in Cranston, Pawtucket, and East Greenwich.

3) the 8 trains (from what I've heard/read) will be timed for commuters AND peak flight "banks" at the airport.

4) we should all remember that new MBCR service is unlikely to start anywhere with hourly service. If the schedule is decent, people will use it, tweaks can be made and hopefully service will increase.

I hope the one of the first trains (early a.m.) does something like this:

- leave the layover yard in Pawtucket
- pickup pax in Providence
- drop off at the airport
- continue to Wickford to pick up
- drop off and pick up at the Airport
- contintue to Providence and Boston

this would serve both airport patrons taking one of the very many early outbound flights AND early morning commuters to both large cities. At night it could do the reverse to serve passengers coming in on the many late evening airport arrivals.

#435277  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

obienick wrote:Did they really not build the catenary tall enough? Sounds like a dumb move by Amtrak if that is the case. Or, have the Kawasaki's just not been tested to see if they fit?
there are some low clearances i believe on some bridges, which causes the catenary to be lowered to fit, which in turn doesnt' leave enough clearance for the K cars

#435283  by Ron Newman

By 'K car' do you mean the double-deckers?

#435297  by AznSumtinSumtin

Yes. The double deckers were made by Kawasaki. K is short for Kawasaki.