Railroad Forums 

• What Medina RR Museum S1?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#419773  by Luther Brefo

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/NY-Alcos/ lists the Median Railroad Museum as having an Alco S1 that was once a Relco engine that is not on the property yet. My question is where is the proof of this. As far as I know, the only motive power they have that I know of would be the two E8s.

So what is the real story here or is this simply speculation at work?

#419863  by scottychaos

Word came from Medina, a few years ago..
it was something in the works at one time, project could be dead by now though..
it was supposed to be a display engine...this was long before the E-units were even thought of..

I haven't removed it from the list because I have never heard anything new about it.

Scot

#432594  by scottychaos

Medina RR Museum confirmed they own this locomotive,
its currently located in Niagara Falls.
the museum is putting together a plan to get it over to Medina, (30 miles away)..it would be a very easy move by rail, but there are some issues.

see this thread for details:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41988

Scot

#433665  by N. Todd

Medina never got back to me. Thanks for letting us know. Does the machine work?

#433902  by thebigham

No.

#434103  by The Man

The unit does not look bad. If I had to move it I would just talk to the FRA and see what they want to see done on it and then work on the repairs as time permits. Also I would trade it away. The other thing I would do that has become a NEEDED repair is to weld ALL the doors shut so that the railfans, railroaders and scrap dealers cannot steal items from the unit. We have a unit at the CNY NRHS that did not get the welded doors and scrap dealers removed anything they could and they discovered that if they cut the air lines the stand the unit cannot be moved and will stay until they have removed all the scrap they want. Plus I have had items removed from passenger cars by what had to be foamers since there is no scrap value to plastic indicator covers.

JJH

#434345  by Luther Brefo

The Man wrote:...scrap dealers removed anything they could...

JJH
Isn't what you are describing highly illegal? If they do not have the right to do so (ie. no contract for the "work" or permission to proceed)?

Was this part of the same incident where some couplers were cut from the RS3 and the other engine?

#434369  by pablo

Luther, I think that the couplers that were removed were from units in Albany, the former Mohawk units.

Dave Becker