Railroad Forums 

• K&K Alco Saved? Update: will be scrapped

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#411059  by thebigham

From the BPRR Yahoo Mailing List:

Keep your eyes open for some Knox and Kane rolling stock on the B&P in
the next few days. 39 left Marienville this AM pulling the Railbox and
the bay window cab. Making a stop in Kane to pick up the Alco, #70 to
add to the delivery to Mt. Jewett. 70 has been bought and is on the
way to Texas. Unknown destination for the box and caboose.
Last edited by thebigham on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#411399  by BR&P

What I heard was the unit was purchased for the prime mover and traction motors to be used in oil and marine industry use. The remainder of the unit was to be scrapped, with some ALCO roads already dealing for parts. I can't guarantee 100% accuracy but I do know there is a strong demand for drilling equipment these days so it does make sense. (from an economic standpoint, not from a sentimenatal one). I did have a couple other specifics to back this up but I'm not sure if they were for public knowledge so let's see what actually does happen.

#411408  by Alcoman

BR&P wrote:What I heard was the unit was purchased for the prime mover and traction motors to be used in oil and marine industry use. The remainder of the unit was to be scrapped, with some ALCO roads already dealing for parts. I can't guarantee 100% accuracy but I do know there is a strong demand for drilling equipment these days so it does make sense. (from an economic standpoint, not from a sentimenatal one). I did have a couple other specifics to back this up but I'm not sure if they were for public knowledge so let's see what actually does happen.
If that is still the case, then why would they ship to Texas by rail? It would be easier to truck the prime mover to where ever its going.

#412114  by BR&P

My understanding was that the loco would be parted out up north, with only the components needed for other uses being sent to Texas. It's possible plans changed and the whole unit will be shipped.

#412194  by SSW9389

Is it possible that Ed Bowers bought the locomotive or that he is involved somehow in this transaction? Ed lives near Houston, TEXAS.

hi

#415723  by thebigham

From the B&P Yahoo Group:

Chris and all...

K&K70 was delivered to Goodman Scrap on Sunday afternoon by the XBR01W/RSR879. Crew was called out of Bradford at 0900 ran engine lite to Mt. Jewett and picked the unit up.

rayg

#419814  by BSOR Patarak

It is sad but true, the KK 70 will be cut up at Goodman, Bradford, PA. The engine block was loaded on a truck 7/6/07 and was headed to Marine Diesel up north. The generator, traction motors and air compressor are headed to Texas next week for the drilling rig outfit. This doesn't leave much useful on her. In the process of taking the motors off of the trucks, parts were torched out. On top of that and the fact of the locomotive being pretty worn out before it arrived there, I don't see anyway that it could have been moved much further.