Railroad Forums 

• busiest route on the kcs

• Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.
Discussion related to the past and present operations of Kansas City Southern Lines, including affiliates Texas Mexican Railway, Grupo Transportation Ferroviaria Mexicana (TFM), and Panama Canal Railway Co. Official web site can be found here: KCSOUTHERN.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#411895  by lakeshoredave

what is the busiest route on the kcs? i always hear how they are a very efficient and well run rr, but what is their busiest route and how much traffic do they really have as a railroad overall?

#412017  by resauto

Pittsburgh Kansas is probably the busiest part of our RR right now. A ton of coal trains and grain trains are constantly running ALL day long. The boards over there are turning like crazy as so here where I work........Beaumont Tx. Of course Shreveport is always busy because thats where our biggest yard is etc........EVERYTHING goes through Shreveport.

#415001  by PSNOUS

resauto wrote:Pittsburgh Kansas is probably the busiest part of our RR right now. A ton of coal trains and grain trains are constantly running ALL day long. The boards over there are turning like crazy as so here where I work........Beaumont Tx. Of course Shreveport is always busy because thats where our biggest yard is etc........EVERYTHING goes through Shreveport.
Hook me up, lol ;)

#438061  by lakeshoredave

It really is unreal how traffic has grown on the KCS these days. I'd expect it to keep growing if their intermodal partnership with NS to the ATL is successful.

#532322  by pepper0105

if i were to get hired on in shreveport as a conductor what other cities would i be able to hold seniority at

#534938  by GCOR 1.7

Midsouth. They run nonstop. It's the fastest east to west route of any class 1, or so they say. The guys I know that work there are so sick of working it's ridiculous.
Other than that, yeah, Pittsburgh/Heavner, and Shreveport or Beaumont. Seems like everywhere's getting busier. We don't have enough guys on our engineer or conductor boards to cover everything.
 #640815  by GulfRail

The Meridian Speedway and the L&A have the most traffic due to their position in between KCS de M and the GWWR (not to mention the KC-Omaha-Lincoln route). Pretty much all Northbound and Southbound traffic have to go through there, not to mention the thriving Dallas-Atlanta business. Coal and Chemicals are the lifeblood down there.
 #924046  by lakeshoredave

thanks for all the replys. i've heard so many good things about the kcs and how they have made themselves standout in this era of the huge class 1 rr's.