Railroad Forums 

• CQ, CQ, Calling all RR.Net Amateur Radio (Ham) operators!

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#211632  by Terminal Proceed

I passed the element 2 exam this morning - yay - now i'm waiting to be listed in the uls. I guess it should be this week sometime. Then I'll be able to use this confusing looking radio which a friend of mine gave to me - it's a yaesu ft-847.

kevin

#212939  by Terminal Proceed

My call sign came up today in the ULS - it is KC2PDE.

Kevin

#212960  by Aa3rt

Congratulations Kevin, welcome aboard!!! 73, de AA3RT

#223969  by jmp883

Just passed my Tech exam this afternoon....... :-D

#223981  by Aa3rt

Congrats Joe! Be sure to let us know when you get your call sign! 73!
 #224571  by Buff-3

Good Morning the name here is Bob and this is my first post.

I currently hold a No code Tech license. my radio is a Alinco DR-610
the nice thing about this radio is that I can monitor the railroad as well as work the local repeaters on 2m and 440 I usually hang out on the radio club of Tacoma repeater 147.28 pl 103.5 My Call is N7WGZ

Later
Bob

#227378  by jmp883

Callsign finally posted last night:

KC2PJL

Currently operating with a Yaesu FT-60 handheld and a Yaesu FT-7800 mobile rig in my truck.

It's funny, I've been an emergency services dispatcher for 16 years and I've never had a problem keying up the mic. I made my first contact this morning with a friend of mine and was nervous like I was the very first time I ever keyed up a microphone 16 years ago! :-D

#240273  by Mercer&Somerset

Just noticed this thread for the first time. I'm N2WNY (born in Jersey, West of New York; currently live Within New York). Ham (code tech) since 13, but railfan since 2 months (first Christmas--of course there was a train under the tree with my name on it). Dad's a railfan, both parents are hams, so my fate was sealed at an early age :-D

I totally agree with the observation that ham/railfans are just about the nicest people you'll ever meet. Both very strong communities committed to helping each other out and encouraging people to join the hobby. It's amazing how much it helps in job interviews when you have "amateur radio" and "railroads" listed as interests on your resume.

#242554  by danco

New Ham here, too. KE7HLR

I'm a long-time railfan, who just upgraded my Radio Shack scanner to a VX-170 radio, and decided I might as well go for it and get my Amateur ticket...

I've already installed an FT-8800 in my 4Runner, and put a Comet GP-3 VHF/UHF antenna up on the house (which right now is just hooked up to the HT). I've started learning The Code (with G4FON's software) and am planning on taking my Code and General test later this summer or fall.

Then comes stringing up a dipole and a "big rig" base radio...

Just what i need, another hobby!

Dan KE7HLR

#261665  by clifford1

Hello - Chris C. here N3PVZ Reading PA

#390748  by keeper1616

I passed my tech no-code Saturday morning - after meaning to take the test for a good 7-8 years, I finally got around to taking it and being legal... I'll let you all know when I show up in uls.

Edit: I got it this morning - kc2rlp

#408546  by jmp883

Just to keep this thread alive...

I upgraded to General back in March, 2007. I also upgraded the station equipment.

Went from a Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm rig in my truck to a Kenwood TM-V708. I LOVE this radio! For now the FT-7800 from my truck has joined the other FT-7800 already in my home station. I'm thinking about selling both my FT-7800's to buy a TM-V708 for the home station. For portable work I use a Yaesu FT-60R HT, a nice rugged little radio.

For HF I have an Icom IC-756 (pre Pro-series) running through a Comet HF multi-band mobile antenna. The Comet antenna is temporary until I can find a permanent HF antenna setup. My property is treeless and too small for even a single-band dipole, inverted vee, or sloper.

#434348  by Conrail Tweety

N8VH

Yaesu FT-100, ATAS-100

73, Dennis

#434395  by Wisconsin Railfan

Newbie - KD8GNN - Gen Class

-Icom vx1

soon to have the Icon-718