Railroad Forums 

• Ex Amtrak FL-9 #484 now FEC in Kearny JCT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#407719  by many19

Does Anyone know anything about this FL-9 that is parked right on a sideing paralleling Kearny JCT? I know it was M&E's and it has reporting marks as FEC but does it still work or it needs a lot of work.
Juan

I'll post some picture on Railroad Picture Archives soon.

http://many1979.rrpicturearchives.net/a ... x?id=22952
Last edited by many19 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#407744  by Wanderer

The reporting marks on it are actually FEC, as in Florida East Coast Railway. There had been a rumor that they were purchasing another cab unit to replace the recently lost bid on a former FEC E unit. Guess it had some truth to it. I'll pass it along to my contacts down that-a-way and see what they have to say.
Last edited by Wanderer on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#407751  by ApproachMedium

Looks like that says FEC on it...

Its missing the horn and the 3rd rail shoes, god only knows what else its missing! I would assume that its not in running shape right now. Anyone have a clue as to where its going? Scrap heap?

#407753  by Wanderer

AntNJTrainSet wrote:Looks like that says FEC on it...

Its missing the horn and the 3rd rail shoes, god only knows what else its missing! I would assume that its not in running shape right now. Anyone have a clue as to where its going? Scrap heap?
I'm pretty sure it is headed to the Florida East Coast. I've got a call in to a friend down there who will be able to confirm or deny it. We'll see what he says. Again, this could be the rumored replacement for the former FEC E-unit they just were outbid on.

#407755  by many19

TONY what r u doing us so late...

#407768  by ApproachMedium

many19 wrote:TONY what r u doing us so late...
Haha, dont ask. taking care of business for work actually. now im going to bed!

#407780  by Wanderer

Just got word...

The unit is FEC484. It'll be headed South as a waybill in a CSX consist South Kearny, NJ to Bowden Yard in Jacksonville, FL. More specifically, the shops. Still working on why.

#407903  by Shark

The 484 will be for the Florida East Coast's OCS train.

#407909  by nick11a

It must have been moved yesterday sometime to there.

#407912  by gravelyfan

nick11a wrote:It must have been moved yesterday sometime to there.
M&E 18 was working on the center street branch during mid day on Wednesday.

#407945  by Wanderer

Shark wrote:The 484 will be for the Florida East Coast's OCS train.
Yeah, that's what the guys down there are saying. Apparently this is the replacement for the E-unit that didn't work out. It should look nice cleaned up running with the FEC's Azalea business car.

#408094  by DutchRailnut

Its to bad FEC did not consider the last two MNCR FL-9's just retired last month, 2008 and NYC 2012 are up for sale, both have good HEP and yes 2008 needs wearplate renewal in front truck but nothing really otherwise.
The 2012 was shopped for Cabsignal/ATC problems.
 #408115  by CR4014

I saw the 484 from AMT 178 yesterday and saw the FEC lettering--being a Florida guy, I have to say I was intrigued to say the least. Now, my question is, which former FEC E-unit did they lose out on?

The last I heard is that all of the E7s were scrapped, and the E9s sold to IC and later becoming ICG units with that merger. Two were leased to Amtrak and painted in Amtrak colors with Blunt Arrows--but no Amtrak lettering and retained their 2000-series numbers (which were held by rebuilt IC E8s and also the former FEC E9s). From there, all of IC E-units were parked at the Paducah shops and with the exception of the three which became NJ Transit units (4258, 4272, and 4327) and one E8 (4025?) who's frame was used as a flat car to move wheels around the shop, the remaining E6, E8, and E9 units were supposedly cut up.

...But since I love E-units, I'd love for someone to tell me that a former FEC is out there somewhere--so please tell me something!

CR4014

#408138  by many19

Thank you everyone for the updates and the great information. I only get to see this weird things once every blue Moon.
"Gravelyfan" your note on the M&E working the area reminded me that I saw a Lonelly M&E Alco going North by Broad St Station that was probably the engine that brought it over.
Now I have to ask my body in the M&E what else he knows I didn't even know this FL-9 was theirs before.
Thank you All

#408177  by Wanderer

many19 wrote:Now I have to ask my body in the M&E what else he knows I didn't even know this FL-9 was theirs before.
It was shoved back in the line at Morristown for a while. I believe it was intended as a parts unit.