Railroad Forums 

• Video Tape Quality?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#404402  by SOO4601

Hey guys,
I finally hooked up my video camera to my computer so I can now post them, but every time I record the video onto my computer the quality is bad when I re-watch it. While it's recording it's pretty decent, but even if I sent the quality to the highest when recording and watching, it's still pretty bad. Is it just me, or is there another way to make the quality better?

Thanks,
Dietrich :-)

#404435  by kuzzel540

When I have any troubles with video/audio playback or recording, I go to afterdawn. Here is the forum for digital camcorders.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/55

*You will need to be a registered user to post. Sign up is free and takes a minute.

#406574  by Plywoodhall33

Here is some tips:

Don't watch it back before uploading
Don't tape over something else
Have Firewire(if you have a port)
A good camera
Sometimes the way you put it into a certain file can change it,ex:DivX quality is high,BMP is horrible,MPEG is OK,AVI is good,WMV is good,.DV is the best,but uses to many MB
DIVX comes out like this:<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

PS where are you going to post the videos?Thanks-Kyle

#406611  by Otto Vondrak

How are you transferring the video from your camera to your computer? If your camera VHS or digital? What kind of computer do you have? What software are you using?

#406829  by de402

The easy way.. if you have some cash.. get a mac and a dv camera.. preloaded with imovie and quicktime you can make anything.. and if you get better you can get (and more cash) can go final cut hd..

you can edit on a pc.. avid has a free version of their software but it only allows you to edit two audio tracks. however... xp or vista kinda blows IMHO and the learning curve is a bit higher.. but hey.. to each's own.

it also helps to think ahead when your shooting, plan your shots, and think about your subject. as for formats.. avoid bmp...wmp anythink M$ft. If you want to share it with the most people. flash or quicktime is best..

hope this helps -e