Railroad Forums 

• Too much compression...

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#402774  by JhnZ33

EMTRailfan wrote:I placed the raw UP photo with the flower into my Yahoo photos found here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knox404knox/my_photos

It is the only photo in the folder named RAW UP photo for RAILROAD.NET. Created this folder just for you guys.
For some reason, I cannot select this folder. I can select the other folders no problem.

John

#402780  by EMTRailfan

Try again. You must have checked it as soon as I posted. I realized that I forgot to make the folder a public folder and changed it right after I posted it.

#402791  by MEC407

nm
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#403039  by MEC407

Here is a prime example of a photo that has way too much compression, and yet the RP screeners accepted it:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=188296

#403135  by EMTRailfan

Your edit appears more crisp than mine. Especially in the number area under the window. Mine looks, for a lack of better words, hazey compared to yours.

#403143  by JhnZ33

EMTRailfan wrote:Try again. You must have checked it as soon as I posted. I realized that I forgot to make the folder a public folder and changed it right after I posted it.
Still can't select on this computer. Must be a security setting on my end. I'll check with one of my other computers when I get some time.

#403153  by myfavscr

I was wondering. Would the autofocus cause a similar problem with
that picture? It looks like the blades of grass are crisp and clear while the
flowers up close and the train further back are both blurry.

#409594  by W.E.Coyote

MEC407 wrote:Here is a prime example of a photo that has way too much compression, and yet the RP screeners accepted it:

I see this a bit. My best reasoning is that it was accepted a while back when standards for photos accepted on RP were lower.

But as a screener you can't just go in and delete someone's photo claiming it is now of inferior quality when you previously accepted it. That would make a bigger stink about RP then there is now.

#409845  by MEC407

W.E.Coyote wrote:
MEC407 wrote:Here is a prime example of a photo that has way too much compression, and yet the RP screeners accepted it:

I see this a bit. My best reasoning is that it was accepted a while back when standards for photos accepted on RP were lower.
I checked the history on that particular photo, and it was accepted by RP on May 25, 2007. Therefore, I have to stand by my claim that not all of the screeners are on the same page when it comes to deciding what gets accepted and what gets rejected.

I have experienced this issue personally. A few months ago, I submitted a photo of a very interesting, very rare, very endangered locomotive... and the photo was rejected because there was a very small item obscuring part of the front truck of the locomotive (a.k.a. "objects in foreground"). A few days later, while browsing RP, I saw a new photo of a typical, everyday, nothing-special locomotive. It, too, had an object in the foreground that partially obscured part of the locomotive... and yet it was accepted.

{shrug}

#409891  by Conrail4evr

These guys are only human...so, like all humans, they sometimes make mistakes. It's also THEIR website, thus THEY control the content. I've got about 200 shots on there since last fall, and while it can be tough at first, they will help make you a better photographer. If you feel your photography is perfect as is and refuse to listen to their suggestions, then by all means, go start your own site and quit whining about theirs. Simple as that!