Railroad Forums 

• Too much compression...

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#401628  by EMTRailfan

I have had a few of my photos rejected from RP.net for too much compression. I checked my editor and the compression is set to the best quality. Could I possibly be sharpening my photos too much and making them look compressed? I'm just a rookie and shoot for fun. Only have about a year or so under my belt.

#401752  by keeper1616

Yes, you could be sharpening them too much, or blurring them too much. Post a few up here and we'll critique them.

#402067  by EMTRailfan

Here's a link to the reject for over compression:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... 1269241808

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject. ... =209350789

The 2nd one was rejected for too much noise. Didn't know if this may be caused by too much sharpening too?

#402166  by keeper1616

I think they've both been photoshopped too much. A little color correction is one thing, but sharpening... not so much.

TIP: look at the rails, especially in the second picture... very noisy.

I don't really see the compression in the first one, but it doeas look a little too blurry.

#402174  by RailBus63

In my opinion, the out-of-focus flower in the foreground of the first image detracts from it.

#402221  by Conrail1990

Can someone explain to me what they mean by too much noise?

#402290  by pgengler

Conrail1990 wrote:Can someone explain to me what they mean by too much noise?
In the shortest version, noise is not signal. It's most easily seen over (what should be) a solid color; you'll notice that it's not, that there appear to be lots and lots of what I can best describe as "dots", but they aren't nearly so regular.

For example, using the second of EMTRailfan's photos, look at the lead unit, especially around the cab's side window, toward the front. What should be nice, even, solid yellow looks a bit messier than it ought. That's noise, though it's sort of a hard example.

#402293  by Conrail1990

pgengler wrote:
Conrail1990 wrote:Can someone explain to me what they mean by too much noise?
In the shortest version, noise is not signal. It's most easily seen over (what should be) a solid color; you'll notice that it's not, that there appear to be lots and lots of what I can best describe as "dots", but they aren't nearly so regular.

For example, using the second of EMTRailfan's photos, look at the lead unit, especially around the cab's side window, toward the front. What should be nice, even, solid yellow looks a bit messier than it ought. That's noise, though it's sort of a hard example.

Thanks. Now I get it.

#402332  by JhnZ33

keeper1616 wrote:I think they've both been photoshopped too much.
More like oversharpened as well as overly compressed. I would try a resubmission without any sharpening and try to limit the amount of compression.

You should also try reframe the subjects in the photos as well. The flower in the foreground steals the show. It becomes the main subject because it leads your eye right to it. The flower becomes the subject, not the train.
I don't really see the compression in the first one, but it doeas look a little too blurry.
Look at the wires above the train and you'll see the "jaggies". In fact, you can see them everywhere if you know what you're looking for.

JJP

#402335  by JhnZ33

Something like this:

#402350  by EMTRailfan

Thanks for the help, guys.

First of all, I checked my compression setting, and it is set to the best quality by default, so it almost has to be too much sharpening. I see what you mean about the discoloration between the window ledge and the engine # now that I know what to look for.

As far as the flower, I originally liked my photo, but now see your reasoning. I thought that it would add a little different color to the photo. I see how it stole the show since you editted your version.

Thanks again.

#402578  by MEC407

One of the things that really irks me about that site is that different screeners seem to have different guidelines for accepting or rejecting a photo. For instance, I've seen some photos on that site that were WAY oversharpened and WAY overcompressed, and yet they were still accepted. Yours does look a little bit "fuzzy" for lack of a better word, but it's not nearly as jagged or noisy as some that I've seen on there. It would be nice if all of the screeners were consistent... but, they aren't.

As far as your photo is concerned, I like the flower in the foreground, and I think it makes it a much more interesting shot.

#402640  by keeper1616

JhnZ33 wrote:Look at the wires above the train and you'll see the "jaggies". In fact, you can see them everywhere if you know what you're looking for.

JJP
Thats the exact area I was looking at, and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't compress, but just way out of focus.

But either way, it should be crisper.

#402730  by JhnZ33

keeper1616 wrote:Thats the exact area I was looking at, and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't compress, but just way out of focus.

But either way, it should be crisper.
It would be nice to see the photo "raw" - in other words, before any alterations, straight from the camera. A comparison of the "raw" and "altered" photo would reveal quite a bit.

John

#402745  by EMTRailfan

I placed the raw UP photo with the flower into my Yahoo photos found here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knox404knox/my_photos

It is the only photo in the folder named RAW UP photo for RAILROAD.NET. Created this folder just for you guys. Feel free to look around at the others if you wish. RP.net folder is self explanitory. All railfanning folder are my favs that include RP photos and rejected photos.

Thanks again for all your help. I have had no formal photography training, so I am learning as I go. I have pretty much learned everything from RP rejection reasons and asking like this.