Railroad Forums 

• Inside EMD

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#29607  by ATSF90East

Mr. Cook,
From what I saw on the Amherst Railway Society page I'd love to see your presentation, but live way too far away to attend any of your planned showings. Is there any chance you may consider putting together a website with all of your material?

Thanks!
Bruce Sebring

#29652  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#31343  by RAS

Mr. Cook, if an organization wants to request a showing of this presentation, what is the best way for them to get in contact with you?

#31491  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#32932  by RAS

Mr. Cook, one of my friends works for a tugboat company and attended a course you taught which included a detailed history of the development of the EMD diesel engine models and explained all the design changes. Do you ever show this to railroad groups?

#33673  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#37645  by RAS

That is correct, it was for Moran Towing in Virginia. It was a class for port engineers and maintenance personnel.

#38309  by 498

Where we have mentioned the marine industry here, I wonder if Mr. Cook might tell us whether he has any projects or presentations relating to railroad tugboats in the works? I remember his series of articles on this topic in Railroad Model Craftsman back in the 1980s.

#38553  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#42256  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#54476  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#61544  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #68637  by NewHaven0401

This past Sunday, about three dozen members and friends had the privelege of seeing Mr. Cooks' show at the Railroad Museum of New England in Thomaston, CT. After the show, we were treated to a 'walk-through' of a full-sized EMD locomotive (ex B&M GP-9 1736) by Mr. Cook.

As advertised ,this is NOT your average railroad subject slideshow for the casually interested fan. The show is a solid two hours of facts and figures...presented in Mr. Cooks' own thoroughly engaging style. As he stated previously, it works best in the format that he has devised, i.e., 'live.'

One of the most clever things about the show is the way Preston subtly illustrates the change in EMDs' fortunes from the salad days of the 70's to the end (around '83).

To a man (and woman), there was nothing but high praise offered for the show. Indeed, many of us wished that the show had run longer, which is indeed a possibility-given the amount of unshown material Mr. Cook has on hand.

Moral of the story is-if you get the chance to see this show-or can persuade Preston to bring it to your town-by all means do so. You won't be disappointed.

Dave Kornfeld

#69566  by PCook

Dave, thank you for the nice comments! You and your friends at the Railroad Museum of New England in Thomaston, Connecticut provided a perfect location and an ideal audience for the showing of INSIDE EMD. Thanks for the effort that everyone at the museum put into making this event such an enjoyable afternoon. Having the GP9 available for a walk-around tour worked very nicely with the presentation!
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#82471  by dcm74

For those who are interested in the tugboat operations of the railroads, here is the description of Mr. Cook's upcoming program on April 19, 2005.
The meeting is free and open to all.

http://www.amherstrail.org/meeting2005.04.html