Railroad Forums 

• M&E scrapping 7208 and 7213??

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#385146  by thebigham

From the M&E board here:

Sometime between last Friday and about 10:00 this morning the coach was joined on the scrapper's siding by RS-11's 7208 and 7213. One has the hood over the prime mover removed while the other has its full hood sans doors.

#385280  by RS115

Three others joined them today - see Sandy Burton's posting in the M&E thread '2nd LI Coach Going'

hi

#386245  by thebigham

From Sandy Burton:

There are now five RS-11s being scrapped. In addition to 7208 and 7213, the 7206, 7207 and 7211 are being scrapped at the Jefferson Avenue run-around. According to the foreman of the crew doing the scrapping, these locomotives have been sold to the company doing the scrapping and the prime movers will be salvaged for marine applications. 2029, the CB&NS unit will also be scrapped.

#386526  by Alcoman

Why is the railroad getting rid of these? Surly they could have repaired 1-2 of them for their own use or resale.

#386556  by pablo

John, elsewhere on the boards here someone stated that between the going rate for scrap, and the fact that drilling and other marine work is sky high, the prime movers are commanding a heavy premium, and people are begging for them.

I know I've given you a hard time in the past for your dedication to all things ALCO, anmd saving everything that is out there, but from these posts and actual events (all of these prime movers going to the water someplace) it seems like now is the time to batten down the hatches on anything with a 251 that could be saved.

David Becker

#386632  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:John, elsewhere on the boards here someone stated that between the going rate for scrap, and the fact that drilling and other marine work is sky high, the prime movers are commanding a heavy premium, and people are begging for them.

I know I've given you a hard time in the past for your dedication to all things ALCO, anmd saving everything that is out there, but from these posts and actual events (all of these prime movers going to the water someplace) it seems like now is the time to batten down the hatches on anything with a 251 that could be saved.

David Becker
This could be the reason FM/ALCO took back the selling agreement that they had with NRE. I am always glad to hear about the demand for 251 diesels, but given a choice(not mine of course), I would rather see a Alco locomotive stay that way if all possible. I thinks with the supply of Alcos shrinking, its getting harder for a shortline to acquire inexpensive power.
I still have not heard who bought the Maine Coast RS-11. I hope that did not end up the same way the M&E and K&K Alco did.