Railroad Forums 

• Brookhaven

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #176707  by Legio X

In the Medford topic, it was mentioned recently that NYA was banned from using the spur at Brookhaven, or was banned from servicing Brookhaven, and that someone had gone so far as to block the spur to prevent access. Is that problem still going on?

Also, what is the configuration of the Brookhaven spur? Is it a wye, and how long is the spur? Are there any other spurs that branch off inside the BNL complex to certain buildings?
 #176808  by freightguy

Brookhaven was indeed taking cars again after the local and federal gov't cleared everything up. That means that NYAR will probably remain in business at least till the end of the year! The siding is NYAR's longest clocking in around 2.5 miles or so. Riding a shove back into there is no fun. About 2 years ago they built a spur off the main siding which is good for another 20/25 cars or so. They always slow down in the winter.

The new guy in the back track has begun to receive cars at Emjay Environmental. They look exactly like the cars that Coastal receives in Farmingdale. I will post when he actually loads the first set. It is a really nice facility back there but doesn't have the space that coastal has over by PW siding. It is just as clean though.

On the new costumer front work continues to progress at Dicarlo Foods in Holtsville. It looks like they're grading the land for a siding right now. Maybe the switch will be installed before the end of the year. Management also claims that Tropicana is putting in a facility on the Central Branch. That will be cool handling all those reefer cars out to the middle of Long Island. My main concern is that the orange juice will spoil before it reaches its final destination :(

#176876  by Legio X

Why was an additional spur with a 25 car capacity built at Brookhaven? Does it parallel the Main Line, or branch off the main BNL spur?

#176937  by rb

So are all those Tropicana cars going to use the harbor tunnel?

#177024  by Knife-Switch

So where did you get THIS JUICE?????

The Pineaire trailer?????

#205038  by Legio X

Is Brookhaven still in use, both as a customer and a spur to store cars on?

#205071  by Knife-Switch

errrr We at NY&A can neither confirm nor deny that informaton, however your inquiry has been forwarded to the appropriate gvt. agency.......look out your window :P

#207154  by jayrmli

Brookhaven is out of service for trackwork related to upcoming movements.

Jay

#207171  by Long Island 7285

Speaking about hazmat freight and the likes,

News 12 today 1-20 made as statement wanting replies sayinf the following "do you feel save driving next to tanker trucks on our roads" considdering the negativism put foward to rail freight by the track side dwellers. why would you even ask such a stupid question on public TV if you are not going to support and stand behind getting trucks to a limited ammount and support LIRR rail freight

#216943  by Nova55

Is BNL back in service yet? and has the new guy started reciving cars?
 #382772  by SwingMan

Did the NYA go into Brookhaven Laboratoy this week, I heard the RS-31 called in to Nassau Tower,I heard it on my scanner and he said he had hasmats on his consist. lirr415

#383280  by tushykushy

Hazmats are tankers in consist. Most likely going to either AmeriGas or Pulver Gas in BH.

#384364  by b&p rupture

When some of these older threads are revived, I'm reminded how much knife switch's wit is missed around here.....

#387429  by Tadman

You guys always have the funniest threads - what ever happened to knife switch?

#387819  by nokl

knifeswitch is on to bigger and better things with the nya