Railroad Forums 

• Odd Canon Rebel XT File error

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#379186  by NHN503

After taking about 600 images since Aug 2006 with my Rebel XT, it has now decided to start saving files in the format _MG_XXX instead of IMG_XXX.

Just wondering if there are any other members out there with the XT that are having the same issue.

#382291  by MikeF

I'm not a Canon user so my answer might be of no help whatsoever, but I wonder if you changed some kind of camera setting at the time the file names changed, such as the color mode? Nikon digital cameras use the format DSC_xxxx for images that are set to the sRGB color mode and _DSCxxxx for Adobe RGB images.
 #382697  by sixty-six

Ian MacMillan wrote:After taking about 600 images since Aug 2006 with my Rebel XT, it has now decided to start saving files in the format _MG_XXX instead of IMG_XXX.

Just wondering if there are any other members out there with the XT that are having the same issue.
MikeF nailed it. The files that start with IMG are images taken with sRGB colorspace, _MG are images taken with Adobe RGB colorspace. You can make the change in the menu.

#383646  by NHN503

Man do I feel like an idiot...thanks guys. :P

#392962  by MikeF

Luther Brefo wrote:Is sRGB more "universal"?
Yes. The standard for Internet images is sRGB. Adobe RGB images, unless they are converted to sRGB, will look washed-out and flat when viewed in most Web browsers and some other image viewers.

That said, Adobe RGB does actually have a wider color gamut and is often preferable for publishing purposes, especially when the image will later be converted to CMYK for offset printing. For most amateur applications, though, sRGB is probably better.

To get the best of both worlds, shoot in raw. You can then choose the color mode during the conversion process, and you can produce multiple files with different color modes if you wish.