Railroad Forums 

• Inside EMD

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#235229  by dcm74

While Inside EMD is temporarily in retirement, you might enjoy seeing another of Mr. Cook"s programs, What's In Those Covered Wagons. It's not a full factory tour but you do get to see locomotives being built.

There will be a showing of What's In Those Covered Wagons at the Palmer, MA, Public Library on Thursday April 27th at 6:00PM. This gives everyone a chance to see the program, check out the library and visit the Steaming Tender for dinner.

#237987  by PCook

dcm74, Thanks for your posting on the upcoming showing of the Covered Wagons program, and also for the excellent support that your group always provides for their guest speakers. I am looking forward to the presentation in Palmer, it is a great location and the library there is an excellent new facility with a very nice meeting room.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#270028  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #284980  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Hi Paul, its good to see that a former co-worker is telling the EMD story. I joined railroad.net a few hours ago and found this fourm. Looking at the pictures posted brings back many pleasant memories of traveling through the "Big Bay" seeing a Locomotive trucked at the begining of the afternoon shift. I also remember the horror of returning from a lengthy out of town project, traveling down 55th st and seeing the plant GONE. Working at EMD as a Locomotive Tester was the highlight of my career. I remember the MBTA "Easter Eggs" order that you now watch over in Boston. I hope the old girls are doing well.
 #285299  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Hi Paul, its good to see that a former co-worker is telling the EMD story. I joined railroad.net a few hours ago and found this fourm. Looking at the pictures posted brings back many pleasant memories of traveling through the "Big Bay" seeing a Locomotive trucked at the begining of the afternoon shift. I also remember the horror of returning from a lengthy out of town project, traveling down 55th st and seeing the plant GONE. Working at EMD as a Locomotive Tester was the highlight of my career. I remember the MBTA "Easter Eggs" order that you now watch over in Boston. I hope the old girls are doing well.
Preston Cook..... My Apologies for addressing you as Paul...

#285435  by PCook

Thanks very much for your note! I hope you will get to see the program sometime. My travel range has been a bit limited lately by the very high cost of fuel, but I still do get out around EMD's home turf once in a while.

I can sure appreciate the feeling on seeing the plant gone. On a visit to the area last year I drove my car where the high bay used to be, now it is a parking lot for an adjacent business.

PC

#299976  by PCook

My thanks to the folks at CSRM for the excellent turnout recently for a staff showing of the INSIDE EMD program on short notice, and to Art and Dennis for their time and effort in showing me the museum.

#306282  by PCook

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#338908  by PCook

An update on 2007 activities: INSIDE EMD will be shown in summer 2007 at the NMRA National Convention in Detroit.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#346872  by the missing link

I was at the presentation in Thomaston Ct, and enjoyed it very much. It was long and detailed, but the subject deserves the coverage. I likened it to a training seminar as stated, for what its worth, I would be more than happy to contribute 10-20 $ to admission to see it again, given Mr. Cooks efforts and the price of fuel to get there. I have several friends and railroad co -workers who have also shown interest. Looking foward to another one in the greater New York area.

#360288  by PCook

Thanks for the nice comments about the showing at RMNE, it was an excellent event in an ideal setting and the museum did a really nice job of organizing it.
Last edited by PCook on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

#372810  by PCook

The showing of INSIDE EMD for the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society is presently scheduled for Sunday April 1 at their spring meeting in Parsippany, New Jersey.

PC

#374339  by Phil Hom

Here's additional information on Mr. Cook's presentation.

ELHS 2007 Eastern Spring Meeting
Sunday April 1, 2007
Holiday Inn
Route 46
Parsippany, New Jersey

NOTE: I have NOT seen it yet, hopefully some day I will.

Phil Hom
Washington DC region.

#378721  by PCook

Phil, thanks for your posting about the ELHS meeting.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.