Railroad Forums 

• Return of the living dead :)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#36804  by Glen Warmann

Hi Matt and all on the OHIO forums!!! Been a while since I posted anything on RRNET. Have not had too much access to a P.C. lately, But, Here I am. One Ohio question, Is Fostoria still as buisy as it was 3 years ago??? I still want to get there one of these years. And, Are all three sets of diamonds acessible??? Thanks for any info.

Glen

#36970  by matt

Hey Glen. Yes Fostoria is as busy as ever. We went down a couple of days ago and saw about 30 trains in about 6 hours.

The NS/CSX(B&O) can be photographed from the depot parking lot, which is between the 2 mains.

The NS/CSX(C&O) diamond is almost right on a road so you can get pretty close.

The CSX/CSX diamond is near F-Tower so you can't get toooooo close but good photos are still available, especially with proper zoom-in.

We look forward to the day you visit, Glen. Keep in touch.

#37198  by Glen Warmann

Well, As soon as I get a better car than the one I have, I will head on down. Glad the three diamonds are either accessible, or close to accessible. One more Fostoria question, Are there any hobby shops in Fostoria? Would be a great place for one!!! I'm really hoping to get there by next spring or summer, even if I have to RENT a car!!! Because of times, taking Amtrak is OUT!!!!

Glen

#38479  by chessie8212

Glen-

I do not believe there is a hobby shop in Fostoria. At least there hasn't been one easily found when I've been there time and time again.

There is, however, one in Tiffin which is just a quick hop on Rt 18 out of Fostoria. It's about a 10 minute trip, and the great thing is that the CSX ex-B&O line is within view the whole trip, and Tiffin holds it's own railfanning opportunities as well. It's not a big hobby shop, but it's nice nonetheless. I live in Fremont, which is about 12 miles northeast of Fostoria and I make the trip to that hobby shop about every other week... along with a sidetrip to Fostoria of course! :wink:

#38647  by WNYRailfan

Well eventhough there is not an official hobby shop in Fostoria. There is an antique shop with some rail stuff in it and around it.
I was in Fostoria over the 4th of July weekend, so the shop was closed as was almost everything else. I did get the chance to see some live action.

I found only 4 of the 6 stations in Fostoria.
Where is the former C&O freight station?
Dan West's database says its at the OH Route 12 C&O crossing. Since I do not have an older map...where is the C&O crossing?

The other station I missed was the one at E. High and Spruce...since again I did not have any map with me.

From Toledo...what is the best way to get to Fostoria...OH-199, US-23, or I-75 to OH-18?

What is the address of the hobby shop in Tiffin you mentioned?