Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#360655  by Luther Brefo

For those who like to stay in the known about the motive power on the four railroads, I figured this may be a good place to keep track of them.

As a start, here is what I currently know to be true. Please post any corrections and updates. Thanks!

B&H 4: Stored at Cohocton
5: B&H Switcher
LA&L 20: Active Lakeville Switcher
72: Active Lakeville Switcher

Note: Number 20 and 72 often swap roles. On some days, 20 will be used as the switcher and on others 72 fulfills that role.

ONCT 418: Stored at Victor
LA&L 420: Active LA&L Road engine
WNYP 421: Active WNYP Road engine
B&H 422: Active B&H Road engine

LA&L 423: Active B&H Road Engine
424: Active WNYP Road Engine
425: Active LA&L Road Engine
WNYP 426: Active WNYP Road Engine

LA&L 427, 428, 429: Stored in Lakeville, Awaiting Repairs/Restoration
WNYP 430, 431: Active WNYP Road Engines
WNYP 432: Active LA&L Road Engine/Concurrent Repairs
WNYP 433: Currently undergoing repairs/restoration in Lakeville

WNYP 630: Active WNYP Road Engine
SIXX 73: Active B&H Road Engine
GSRX 708: Active ONCT Road Engine
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#364585  by Luther Brefo

A bit late now but I was looking through some of my pictures from the past month and apparently LA&L 420 received some attention at the engine house on January 17th, 2007. This must also explain part of its absence during that week as explained in the following thread.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35214

#368527  by Luther Brefo

WNYP 432 was undergoing its 92-day inspection today.

LA&L 72 was in the process of having some gasket work completed on the water pump.

As of last week, GSRX 708 received its 92 day inspection as well.

Unfortunately, WNYP 430 derailed at a frozen grade crossing. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the engine was not severely damaged.

#369084  by Luther Brefo

An informed source tells me that ONCT 418 will be moving to Lakeville in the coming months to have the air compressor re-installation completed.

For those that are not aware, this is the RS-36 stored in Victor. The engine is named "George Hockaday."

#369105  by joydivision350125

What's the curent status on #433? Any target date for completion of repairs?

With the acquisition of more trackage, has there been any talk of beginning rebuilds of any of the three stored-unserviceable C424s?

#369128  by Luther Brefo

Wednesday when I took a look at the 433, it was closer to completion than the last time I saw it. The cab interior has been cleaned up and the electrical cabinet doors replaced. I am sure more has been done but I did not take note of every single detail.

As for the three ex GBW C424s in the deadline, I do not know what the current plan is with them although I have been told in the past that they will someday run with the others. Most of the components are in place as far as I know (minus traction motors for the ex GBW 320, although GE752s are quite common) and there appear to be spare parts for them if needed.

After spending time and effort and not to mention money in getting them movable by rail, I doubt the railroad would just dump them now.

#369166  by railwatcher

Luther Brefo wrote:An informed source tells me that ONCT 418 will be moving to Lakeville in the coming months to have the air compressor re-installation completed.

For those that are not aware, this is the RS-36 stored in Victor. The engine is named "George Hockaday."

Being a "stored" piece, I wonder if this unit could get placed into service elsewhere" When all it said and done with the adding of the Buffalo line and Olean yard on the WNYP, and the addition of Barilla on the LAL, it seems that there might have to be a realignment of power.

#372456  by Luther Brefo

GSRX 708 is in the processing of having both AAR Type A Friction Bearing Equipped trucks swapped for AAR Type A Roller Bearing Equipped Trucks. One half of the swap has been completed and the other half is awaiting its turn. Look for pictures on LALRailfan.net

#379740  by PVRX1

Hey, Is the Ontario Midland RS11 36 still in the back corner of Lakeville shop, or has the wheel work been completed. It was there probably better part of a year or so in maybe 2005ish.

#379836  by Luther Brefo

PVRX1 wrote:Hey, Is the Ontario Midland RS11 36 still in the back corner of Lakeville shop, or has the wheel work been completed. It was there probably better part of a year or so in maybe 2005ish.
The OMID RS-11 was returned to the OMID after the work was completed. There are no RS-11s in Lakeville.

#380403  by railwatcher

Ontario Midland unit #36 was reported sitting Idling and preparing for a return trip to OMID on May 13, 2005 by Mike, and just previous to that by Scot. Check out the old threads.

#380422  by scottychaos

railwatcher wrote:Ontario Midland unit #36 was reported sitting Idling and preparing for a return trip to OMID on May 13, 2005 by Mike, and just previous to that by Scot. Check out the old threads.
Here are my pics of #36, May 12, 2005:

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... S11-36.jpg

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 1-36-2.jpg

and yes, it was doing a "shakedown run" on the LAL between Lakeville and Avon, almost ready to head back to Sodus.

Scot

#383024  by railwatcher

Although it's off topic, OMID #36 was photographed on April 4th, with its photos on the NY State railfan forum. Now we can return to the LAL Family of Locomotives as it is the topic at hand here.

#383067  by Luther Brefo

Last Friday when Mike W. and I visited Lakeville and met Mike S. at Pole Bridge Road, WNYP 433 was still waiting behind the road engines in the road engine bay. It was still awaiting further servicing but progess was being made. WNYP 432 has been turned so that it is a norhtbound facing engine. LA&L 72 was the switcher for the day. Number 20 was resting.

#387716  by Luther Brefo

WNYP 432 has been lifted off its trucks to allow the crews to re-wire the traction motors to the electrical cabinet with new copper wire. The original aluminum wire was at the end of its useful life.