Railroad Forums 

• FEC E-8 & FL-9 musings.....

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#364335  by CapnTomDrums

Saw this on Trainorders over the weekend...FEC has purchased an E-8, to be numbered 97, from an outfit in California. Unit is ex-CB&Q, and is being prepared for its trip back East. :-D

#364734  by CapnTomDrums

I received an email this morning which stated that BNSF has refused to accept the unit in interchange. Have to wait and see what develops.

#366053  by Tadman

It'll be interesting to see if this keeps the silver, gets traditional blue FEC, old-school red/ylw, or the ARR copy that the new SD70's got. I was a little disappointed that FEC used the exact same scheme as ARR - I was thinking a little red used in place of the yellow stripe would look nice. However, it's not my railroad, and I don't own stock, so my vote counts for nothin...

#367824  by Spartan Phalanx

Why would BNSF refuse interchange of this locomotive? It looks road-worthy.

#367913  by Noel Weaver

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Why would BNSF refuse interchange of this locomotive? It looks road-worthy.
Looks don't mean a thing in this case. There could be any number of
problems, maybe the brakes do not work properly, could be excessive
brake pipe leakage, maybe all of the wheels do not rotate properly or
anything else mechanical that would prevent the movement of this piece
of equipment. Maybe it does not conform to federal standards.
I remember in my working days out of Selkirk, I had a Buffalo (and points
west) train with two six motor engines for power. Upon reporting, there
was a New York Central painted RS-3 that looked just beautiful connected
to my power to go in tow of the train as a boxcar. The engine was not
properly hooked up to the road power and the air brakes did not work
after they properly hooked it up. After much fooling around with it, I
made it quite plain that if the air brakes were not properly working on it,
I would refuse to take it so they finally cut it off at Selkirk.
Engines like the one pictured can cause a major problem in a heavy
tonnage freight train if they are not working properly and the best thing to
do if they are not one hundred per cent right is not to take them at all.
Noel Weaver

#368384  by W&A Throttle Jock

The unit needs Alignment control couplers.

#371221  by Tadman

Could you elaborate on what those are? Thanks!

And Noel's right, a coat of fresh paint can hide all kinds of mechanical gremlins. It's just like a used car - don't trust the paint, bring a magnet to check for rust and take her for a spin before buying (or in this case, interchanging)

#372101  by W&A Throttle Jock

Alignment control couplers keep the drawheads from 'slewing' (mis-matching) during coupling and they help keep the drawheads aligned on line of road. Most railroads require alignment control couplers on engines to prevent slack action from pushing the engines off the rail during stops. Without alignment control, the couplers can get shoved to one side, the engine tries to move in that direction, and you end up with the rail turned over and the engines on the ground. Alignment control couplers keep everything in a straight line and any slack action will just shove the engines forward.

#375432  by Paul

Well. here it is sitting at UP's West Colton's service tracks, she came in about 0400 3-16-07. Non alignment couplers shouldnt be a problem since all you need to do is (1) weld in coupler stops, (2) place rubber coupler stops (3) place the unit second or third from the rear, as is what we do all the time with the MP and SW units.

Sorry about the crappy picture. Taken from my cell phone
 #376001  by H.F.Malone

What, you mean you don't have one of those fold-up 4x5 cell phone cameras???? You know, the kind with a crank on the side of the leather-covered mahagony box???
 #376004  by H.F.Malone

Having just returned from a few days in FLA, and some time checking out the FEC south of JAX, that thing is gonna look SWEET, pacing it at 70+ mph along US Rt 1 south of JAX. The FEC biz cars were out on Thursday, along with 4 NS biz train cars, and the leading FEC GP40 looked a bit "worn" compared to the two shiny clean NS GP38s behind it. The E-unit will be a CLASS loco for a CLASS railroad!!!

#406605  by Tadman

Any word on this unit? We haven't heard anything for months. Hopefully it's not a dead project...

#409335  by ShortlinesUSA

The deal fell through several months ago. FEC determined the locomotive needed too much work, and it was sent to a RR museum in Arizona for storage by the owner.

They now have apparently purchased an ex Amtrak FL9, #484.
 #410413  by Otto Vondrak

So the E-unit deal fell through... so now it looks like an FL9...

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40173

Is this unit on FEC property yet? What are the plans?

-otto-