Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail to Rhode Island Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#350529  by Fred Rabin

Two comments: (1) It would helpful if, on the "express" runs to PVD, RIPTA would stop at the RR station. (2) On Bonanza's service from Providence to Boston, the fare is about $8 to South Station and about $20 to Logan. If you're not burdened by multiple pieces of luggage, it's wise to get off at South Station and take the Silver Line to Logan

#350551  by alex45

mental757 wrote:a few points:

Bonanza - now Peter Pan - no longer serves TF Green airport.

While RIPTA provides service between PVD and Kennedy Plaza, it's hardly convenient with only 20 "express" (still makes 1 stop) buses in between the hours of 5:54am and 7:46pm (thats less than 2 per hour). Not that commuter rail will offer a better schedule or fare, but, well, you guys know, it's perceived differantly that the bus. There are 21 more 'local' buses too, but they take over 35 minutes to get to Kennedy Plaza. The MBCR service will also offer same vehicle service to points outside downtown Providence (all the way up to SoSta). The future rail service will take about 10 minutes, while the 'express' bus takes about 20 minutes.
It just about what the person wants to do. Do they want to get to Providence faster? or do they want to pay less?

#350553  by alex45

Fred Rabin wrote:Two comments: (1) It would helpful if, on the "express" runs to PVD, RIPTA would stop at the RR station.
Do you mean at the new Warick station? Or at Providence station?

#350570  by mental757

the new Warwick station is geared for the commuter, not so much for airport users. Having said that, it will surely be an asset and be used by some (admittedly a limited number of) air travelers.

the express buses from TF Green go to Kennedy Plaza where one has to either walk the 2 blocks (partially covered via the tunnels under the old train station buildings and memorial blvd/waterplace), transfer to the RIPTA gold line, or transfer to RIPTA bus #50.

Peter Pan reduced the weekend one way fare between Providence (city, not airport) to $5.00. The weekday fare is higher. This is only good to South Station. While all those buses continue to Logan, the one way fare there is $22.00 (roundtrip is $40.00).

8 weekday trains is a good start for a brand new station. If pasengers use it (commuters and/or airport) then they will add more. The revised RIPTA network will piece it all together to fill in the gaps in the train schedule to make the airport stop both convenient and afordable for many differant types of travelers, and not just between TFG and Providence/Boston.

#350616  by cpontani

8 trips isn't great, but you have to take into context that this is the MBTA, not NJ Transit. They don't run that many trains on the Attleboro/Providence line to begin with. There's only 15 in the whole day, so your're just not going to get 15 or 20-minute service. An airport the size the PVD just won't support that kind of demand.

I'm not knocking the service or the airport. It's much easier getting in and out of, and when this service comes online, I'd definately use it (flying Southwest) as a cheaper alternative to Logan.

#350638  by mental757

sounds good cponatni!

remember though the primary purpose for the new rail service is more for the RI commuter (to Providence, 128 area, and/or Boston) from points just south of Providence (Kent and Washington counties). The passengers who use the service to access the airport is really 'gravy' for both the MBCR and airport.

I know since I live in Kent county and ALWAYS take the train to Boston (frequent Bruins, Red Sox, and day trips with the family) from Providence, that I will simply use the train from Warwick instead (assuming the schedule works) and avoid paying the $7 bucks to park at the Providence station. I can also see grabbing the train to attend business lunches, meetings, or other things from Warwick to Providence since I work right near to where the Warwick station will go.
Last edited by mental757 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#350644  by Ron Newman

I don't understand "avoid paying the $7". The fare from Warwick will almost certainly be higher than the fare from Providence (which is now $7.75, not $7). There will once again be a Zone 9.

#350651  by mental757

my bad, the $7 is to park at the Providence Station parking garage. I have free parking where I work in Warwick...

The fare differance between Warwick and Boston and Providence and Boston (1 zone) will surely be much less than $7.00. Probably a buck...

#350653  by jck

mental757 wrote:the new Warwick station is geared for the commuter, not so much for airport users. Having said that, it will surely be an asset and be used by some (admittedly a limited number of) air travelers.
Which makes sense. I'm sure the times of trains will be geared towards a commute, not to airport access.
the express buses from TF Green go to Kennedy Plaza where one has to either walk the 2 blocks (partially covered via the tunnels under the old train station buildings and memorial blvd/waterplace), transfer to the RIPTA gold line, or transfer to RIPTA bus #50.
This doesn't sound like a lot of fun with luggage.
Peter Pan reduced the weekend one way fare between Providence (city, not airport) to $5.00. The weekday fare is higher. This is only good to South Station. While all those buses continue to Logan, the one way fare there is $22.00 (roundtrip is $40.00).

8 weekday trains is a good start for a brand new station. If pasengers use it (commuters and/or airport) then they will add more. The revised RIPTA network will piece it all together to fill in the gaps in the train schedule to make the airport stop both convenient and afordable for many differant types of travelers, and not just between TFG and Providence/Boston.
I certainly hope the service is successful. I just hope people don't have unrealistic expectations regarding what the service means in terms of airport access via commuter rail.

#350669  by Ron Newman

mental757 wrote: Peter Pan reduced the weekend one way fare between Providence (city, not airport) to $5.00. The weekday fare is higher. This is only good to South Station.
Was this a response to the MBTA starting weekend train service between Providence and Boston?

From Peter Pan's web site it appears that you have to buy a round-trip, the $5 fare is only for the Providence-Boston leg, and you have to start the round trip in Providence.

#350723  by mental757

Peter Pan left when it was still Bonanza (early 2006??).

The information that I have read stated that Peter Pan was combatting much lower ridership on the weekends with the $5 fare. I would have to assume that the weekend CR service made matters worse for Peter Pan.

#351853  by paulrail

Is the new commuter rsil service to Warwick going to run on Amtrak's NEC
or the new third track that the P&W runs on to Davisville?

Paul

#353445  by mental757

3rd track with switching capabilities to the NEC both north and south of the new platform.

#368467  by alex45

I wonder if there gonna extend it all the way to the Kingston Station where amtrak stops

#368652  by paulrail

That was the original plan. It still may be, but I don't know at this point.
Things may have changed over the last few years.

When I attended the dedication of the rehabbed beautiful Kingston station, I was told by an employee (Amtrak ticket agent...?) that the current waiting room [on the left, looking at the station from trackside] is Amtrak's own, and the other waiting room on the right side would be for future MBTA passengers.

How true this is or was, I just don't know.

Paul