Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail to Rhode Island Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#308083  by mental757

computer issues...
Last edited by mental757 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#308084  by mental757

technical difficulties...
Last edited by mental757 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#308425  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so the MBTA will be using this track, now a question.....is this track still considered Running Track 7 or will it be called Track 3 after Providence?
 #350418  by dieselbreath

SORRY FELLAS I CANT LET THIS SLIP, WICFORD IS SOUTH OR N.H. WEST OF QUONSET/DAVISVILLE INDUSTRIAL PARK. THE 3RD TK ENDS AS THE LEAD INTO THE IND PK CURRENTLY. IT IS ON THE EAST SIDE OF AMTK.
HEADING NORTH/N.H. EAST FROM THE PARK, IT HAS IT'S OWN ROW FOR A COUPLE OF MILES TO JUST OUT SIDE OF EAST GREENWICH, WHERE IT JOINS TK #2 THROUGH THE CURVEY HISTORIC DISTRICT OF EAST GREENWICH. IT THEN CROSSES OVER TO TK #1 AND STAYS THERE UNTILL THE TRESTLE OVER APPONAOG COVE IS CROSSED, THEN SWITCHES TO THE WEST SIDE OF TK#1 AND HAS IT'S OWN ROW TO PROV AND BEYOND. ONE OF THE NEW BRIDGES IS VISIBLE OVER THE PAWTUXET RIVER NEAR THE JEFFERSON BLVD EXIT, 95 N AND S. BEAR IN MIND ALSO THAT THE NEC TRACKAGE IS OWNED BY AMTK IN THE STATE OF RI.

#350456  by Ron Newman

why are you shouting at us?

#350459  by alex45

CSX Conductor wrote:Providence passengers already have service to TF Greene via bus. RIPTA has local bus service which goes from Downtown to the airport. Bonanza also serves TF Green on many trips to/from their Pawtucket Terminal as well as a stop in downtown Providence. :wink:
I do agree with that. Cause Ripta is twice as cheaper to get into the city. But on the weekday, there may be more service into Providence.

#350460  by alex45

Ron Newman wrote:Also, I hope this will lead to:

- Saturday and Sunday service to Providence (currently, weekend service ends in South Attleboro)

- a stop in Pawtucket
There is already saturday and sunday to providence

#350463  by Ron Newman

Only since last summer.

#350495  by mental757

a few points:

Bonanza - now Peter Pan - no longer serves TF Green airport.

While RIPTA provides service between PVD and Kennedy Plaza, it's hardly convenient with only 20 "express" (still makes 1 stop) buses in between the hours of 5:54am and 7:46pm (thats less than 2 per hour). Not that commuter rail will offer a better schedule or fare, but, well, you guys know, it's perceived differantly that the bus. There are 21 more 'local' buses too, but they take over 35 minutes to get to Kennedy Plaza. The MBCR service will also offer same vehicle service to points outside downtown Providence (all the way up to SoSta). The future rail service will take about 10 minutes, while the 'express' bus takes about 20 minutes.

I've asked almost every conductor since they expanded the Providence line to 15 weekday roundtrips and weekend service (I've used it at least 5 times since) and all have said the Providence loads seem to be good.

The intermodal station at PVD will house the rail, RIPTA bus and car rental functions which should really create a unique (to RI) transfer point for modes of transportation. I would also expect that the RIPTA buses will be reviewed to offer service to more places besides downtown, URI, and Cranston...

#350508  by jck

mental757 wrote:a few points:

Bonanza - now Peter Pan - no longer serves TF Green airport.

While RIPTA provides service between PVD and Kennedy Plaza, it's hardly convenient with only 20 "express" (still makes 1 stop) buses in between the hours of 5:54am and 7:46pm (thats less than 2 per hour). Not that commuter rail will offer a better schedule or fare, but, well, you guys know, it's perceived differantly that the bus. There are 21 more 'local' buses too, but they take over 35 minutes to get to Kennedy Plaza. The MBCR service will also offer same vehicle service to points outside downtown Providence (all the way up to SoSta). The future rail service will take about 10 minutes, while the 'express' bus takes about 20 minutes.

I've asked almost every conductor since they expanded the Providence line to 15 weekday roundtrips and weekend service (I've used it at least 5 times since) and all have said the Providence loads seem to be good.

The intermodal station at PVD will house the rail, RIPTA bus and car rental functions which should really create a unique (to RI) transfer point for modes of transportation. I would also expect that the RIPTA buses will be reviewed to offer service to more places besides downtown, URI, and Cranston...
Regardless of how a train is perceived, I believe that eight weekday only trains are not going to be very practical for the vast majority of people flying out of PVD, and will not make significant difference in airport usage or how people get to the airport.

I would never bet my travel plans on such infrequent train service. If your return flight gets delayed, you may be screwed, with no inexpensive or convenient way out of the airport when you arrive. If your outbound flight is cancelled late in the evening, what do you do?

For those people who are willing to save a few dollars by wasting many hours in transit (read: broke students), it will be a nice option. For anyone else, this service simply isn't practical.

Didn't I read that Bonanza will run all of its Providence-Boston buses through to Logan airport?