Railroad Forums 

• Mystery Box on NYC RS32

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#344193  by Luther Brefo

In the image below, one can see that there is a box that has been added to this RS32. It sits between the exhaust stack and the radiator fan. Does anyone know what it is? I am trying to do some research for a friend and this is a stumbling block for us. Thanks.

Last edited by Luther Brefo on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

#344216  by deezlfan

Perhaps it is a winterizetion hatch of some sort? It's location between the radiator and engine compartments is what leads me to this speculation....

#344228  by alcodoc

The extra box on top of some NYC units was an additional 50 gallon water tank. The DL 2035 is so equipped. I'll bet the tank was put on some units to forstall a lower water shut down on the long Chicago run on hot shot trains. No, it didn't work....proper placement and rust free plumbling to the McDonnell-Miller water float was the correct solution.

Alcodoc

#344460  by Luther Brefo

alcodoc wrote:The extra box on top of some NYC units was an additional 50 gallon water tank. The DL 2035 is so equipped. I'll bet the tank was put on some units to forstall a lower water shut down on the long Chicago run on hot shot trains. No, it didn't work....proper placement and rust free plumbing to the McDonnell-Miller water float was the correct solution.

Alcodoc
Thanks. That answers the question satisfactorily. :wink: