Railroad Forums 

• Help identify these Alcos - NIMX 1982

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#341184  by Alcoman

I remember the 1268.an S-2..It was in Naparano's Iron & Metal.They leased it out for awhile to a Sand Company in South Amboy,NJ.
1800 was a RS-36 which was scrapped due to the price they(NIMX) wanted for it. I have slide of these also. Due you member seeing the "Dolly sisters" there? I have slides of that too!

#341203  by BlockLine_4111

Alcoman wrote:I remember the 1268.an S-2..It was in Naparano's Iron & Metal.They leased it out for awhile to a Sand Company in South Amboy,NJ.
Did NIMX eventually scrap it?
Alcoman wrote:Due you member seeing the "Dolly sisters" there? I have slides of that too!
SOO Alcos? IIRC in a magazine but not in person.

#341221  by Alcoman

Yes, they scrapped it.
Yes, Soo Line RS-27's(DL-640)

#341238  by trainspot

Was the 1268 a former B&O unit? Some of the B&O S-2's were cut down to a frame & trucks, and used like flat cars on some unusual operation, I remember hearing. I have a poor photo of some.

#341934  by tgibson

Hi,

I saw and photographed the Dolly Sisters in operation at Minneapolis. I also shot the GB&W RS27 working at Green Bay. Lucky me!! :)

Take care,

#342092  by BlockLine_4111

tgibson wrote:I saw and photographed the Dolly Sisters in operation at Minneapolis.
Why are these so called "Dolly Sisters" so popular among railfans? Seems fans crawled out of the woodwork to get down to NIMX before they cut 'em up. Any history can anyone fill me in on these "Dolly Sisters" and why they are classical.
 #342142  by SooLineRob

The "Dolly Sisters" story...

First new locomotives delivered to the newly merged SOO Line Railroad in 1962, road #'s 415 & 416.

First units to be delivered in the SOO red-white-black scheme.

First "high horsepower" units purchased by SOO, 2400 HP.

Only 2 Alco RS27's purchased by SOO, as well as the SOO's last Alco product!

Quickly deemed unreliable for road service, spent their entire careers with SOO on Twin Cities area yard/transfer assignments (close to shop).

Named after a 1930's era Vaudeville act where two identical twin sisters, the Dollys, mirrored each other's dance moves exactly. The nickname given to the units was in reference to how they were identical twin "orphans" on the roster, always moving/mimicing each other's moves, initially coupled back-to-back, in their "high horsepower" yard assignments.

Why they became classics is left to interpretation and speculation...
 #342818  by BlockLine_4111

SooLineRob wrote:
Quickly deemed unreliable for road service, spent their entire careers with SOO on Twin Cities area yard/transfer assignments (close to shop)....
What operational or mechanical issues did they pose in road service?
SooLineRob wrote:Named after a 1930's era Vaudeville act where two identical twin sisters, the Dollys, mirrored each other's dance moves exactly. The nickname given to the units was in reference to how they were identical twin "orphans" on the roster, always moving/mimicing each other's moves, initially coupled back-to-back, in their "high horsepower" yard assignments.

Did they belch much smoke with all the throttle changes in switcher service?
 #343374  by SooLineRob

Hello Blockline, how've you been?

Alco's products were already off the roster by my time. Sorry, I can't help with specific info on these units per se; only a few remaining co-workers of mine ran them...

I got my "Golden Arm" at the end of GP30/35's, GP/SD 9's, U23/33/36 C-boats, etc. Most (except D&H) Class 1 roads scrapped their Alco's in the early 80's... Hey GA, care to chime in?

#345695  by GOLDEN-ARM

(Doing his best imitation of a Nathan M-3)........BAMP!!!!!! Hey, Rob, what's up? I saw the "sisters at Nappi's, in the very early 80's. They were parted quickly, then frames cut, for scrap. As for the "typical" Alco-esque cloud making abilities, an Alco is an Alco........ :P I have already related the demise of the National 1800, which was sold due to untraceable electrical faults, then scrapped by Nappi's as well. (got those pix, too) I got some seat time on the 4 and 6 axle Centuries, in mainline service, and am lucky(?) enough to be able to run a RSD-6 in yard/transfer service, here in Oregon, if the call goes in my favor. Turbo lag, and the related loading lag makes them less than desireable, for switching, but those very "qualities" makes them excellent sun-blockers. I "horse" the Alco when working her, and she produces thick, black acrid clouds of Alco smoke, at will. I just passed on the chance to hire on the A&M, with their large Alco roster, over wages. It was hard, to pass the chance to run the last of the surviving LV Alco road fleet, but you gotta pay the bills...... :( If you make it down to the TCT, you might poke around the Shoreham shops. Some very interesting stuff was stored inside the roundhouse, and behing the backshop, when I was running out of there......... :wink: