Railroad Forums 

• Help identify this Alco

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#340681  by Alcoman

Someone showed me picture on the web of a Alco S-2 # 201 at the Claremont & Concord shops. The Alco was painted in Gray primer.
What is its history? I have no other info to go with. Anybody?

#340777  by RS-3

It was reportedly a ex-SR S-2 that was rebuilt by a outfit in Wisc or Illinois that does locomotive rebuilding, sales and leasing. It included a complete low voltage rewiring. Apparently CCRR looked at it (or was reported they purchased it) but ended up passing on it. I think I saw where its been donated to a museum in Illinois.

Corrections welcome.

GM

#340821  by 2spot

Kind of sounds like the Northern Illinois & Wisconsin S-2 #201. If you go to http://www.nilwirailway.com/ and click "Locomotives" then "For Sale" you'll find a good picture.

#340830  by Alcoman

Mystery solved! Thanks everyone!

#340837  by Alcoman

I wonder why the Clarmont & Concord did not want this unit?

#341150  by mxdata

I would like to see what that rebuilding cost! New wiring and 26 brake on an elderly ALCO switcher? Looks like they did some structural restoration too.

#341208  by 2spot

I'd be curious how much they were asking for it. Probably not as cheap as the ex-US Army S-1 for sale at Ozark Mountain Railcar though.