Railroad Forums 

• Mexican ALCOs...does anyone really know what's left?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#314508  by pablo

I know there are a few sites that are dedicated to ALCOs abroad and in Central/South America, but is there anyone (or any site recently updated) that knows what's left, running or otherwise, down in Mexico?

Thanks!

Dave Becker

#314927  by N. Todd

I recall hearing earlier this year that there were four six-axle Alcos stored at some railroad's shop, one of which was an ex-BC Rail M630W. From what has been gathered:

Existing:
Cementos Portland Nacional 2, RS11
FNM 8611, M630
Las Encinas 801, RS2
API Manzanillo S6, direlict
TAMSA 90-019, S6
TAMSA 90-040, S-2m

Preserved:
1 RS1
1 S2
1 RS11
2 C420
1 M424W
2 C628
2 PA1(?)

#318259  by GOLDEN-ARM

I agree with N. Todd, about the C-628's. Doyle McCormick told me personally, he inspected two C-628's, in a "museum" collection, as well as a third one, carbody and frame only, no trucks, or engine inside it. We were discussing the PA's, and how he got them, and where did he think the missing trucks were, when I asked about the C-628's. When I see him again, next week, I will get the town names, where all 3 were located. (2 towns) He did tell me the story of the C-Liner trucks, but that's another thread here..................... :-D

#318532  by N. Todd

I was never told the story of those C-liner trucks...
Whats up with this third C-628?

#318570  by GOLDEN-ARM

Third one was stripped, sitting behind a railroad shop building. The Alco PA trucks "disappeared, when he went to see them. The C-628, was in the same facility, as the PA's. Doyle knew of it's rarity, and looked it over carefully. (with 4 PA's accounted for, the C-628 is actually rarer, with only 3 known survivors, and the possible derelict hulk, left in the area of the PA storage site) The C-Liner tale, will appear in the FM forum, under the thread already there, about them. Regards........... :-D