Railroad Forums 

• Re: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT or Fix Canon PowerShot A60

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#289733  by GP40MC 1116

Just surfing around on the web the other day, and looking in a somewhat recent TRAINS magazine. Seems the Canon products are fairly well used by RailFans out their taking photographs. Also found out, the "new" Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi which is just been introduced. Ritz has a special on it for $899.99 and the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT is listed by Ritz for $799.99.
So what do you all think of this? What should I go for?

My Canon Powershot A60 was working great, until what Canon thiks of as a "Defective CCD" has happened to it, now the immages are wayyy distorted and messed up. I wonder to try and fix it, it's ony 2.0 pixels, or go up for the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Any ideas

#317082  by GOLDEN-ARM

I just came back from Staples. The Canon Rebel XTI is on "sale", for $794.00 I am still undecided, between this, or possibly a Nikon D70, or D-80. I want to be able to interchange lenses, with my N-75, and for some unknown reason, I prefer an all black camera, as opposed to a silver, or two-tone one. The Rebel has a good "feel" to it, as does the D-70/80 series too. Oh MEC407, where are you.......................... :P

#317131  by Steve F45

if you want decent prices and good customer service, check out BHPHOTO.COM. Great site and lots in stock.

#318236  by MEC407

Hey G-A, definitely consider the Nikon D80. Amazing camera, and has (in my opinion) a much better viewfinder than the D70 or any of the Canon Rebel series. You'll be able to use all of your current Nikon lenses and Nikon accessories as well.

I'm eagerly saving my pennies for a D80. :-D D80 at B&H
 #318237  by MEC407

GP40MC 1116 wrote:My Canon Powershot A60 was working great, until what Canon thiks of as a "Defective CCD" has happened to it, now the immages are wayyy distorted and messed up. I wonder to try and fix it, it's ony 2.0 pixels, or go up for the EOS Digital Rebel XT. Any ideas
I suspect that reparing your A60 would cost much, much more than the camera is worth. The CCD is an expensive part, and replacing it is a time-consuming process.

Personally, I hate to just throw things away... but when it comes to a lot of new high-tech devices, such as digital cameras, replacing them ends up being a lot more economical than repairing them. :(

The bright side, though, is that any new camera you get will be much better than your A60!

For instance, check out the Canon A530... B&H has it for $135... it's got 5 megapixels and 4x zoom. Pretty similar to your A60 in other respects (size, weight, handling, etc).

Or for $199, get the Panasonic DMC-LZ5, which gives you 6 megapixels and a 6x Leica zoom with image stabilization.

That's still less than what it would cost to repair your A60.

#342630  by sixty-six

I recently purchased a Digital Rebel XTi. Best. Purchase. Ever.

#343774  by umtrr-author

I've had my Digital Rebel for a bit over two years now and I'm exceptionally happy with it.

I do most of the photography in the "George-proof" setting and get some really outstanding results.