Railroad Forums 

• Disposition info: CVAL/Valley 154 (heavyweight diner)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#129631  by H.F.Malone

Cripes, red baron, your list looks like a "deja-view, all over again" of the earlier incarnations of this list...like a couple of years ago, when the VRR-CVRM thread went to 500+ posts.

Kinda hard to belive it was 20+ years ago; seems like only yesterday sometimes.

Anyone hear from 'ol BDA these days?
 #142605  by gawlikfj

I think the car Foxpoint was used in the move Ragtime.
 #142677  by H.F.Malone

Uh, no. Fox Point was in Jim Bradley's back yard in Stonington during the Ragtime filming. The movie used a recreated obs platform made on the rear of one of VRR's Lackawanna Boonton coaches. Fox Point left the Stonington property in 1991; it is now the property of an RMNE member who is restoring it at his property in Plainfield, CT.
 #142741  by Cosmo

...Plainfield? Where exactly? And would it be possible to visit, or even volunteer to help? I live in Norwich and often shop for health-food in Plainfield.
If you want, contact me offline:
[email protected]

Cosmo
 #310577  by eehiv

Here is a picture from this year of the "Lion Gardner":

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 528629.jpg

and some interior shots:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 209026.jpg

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 514251.jpg

It's in pretty bad shape. It is owned by the Empire State Railway Museum, but stored on the Catskill Mountain RR just west of the Route 209 crossing west of Kingston, MP 5.4. Behind it is ex EL MU 4322, CNJ 1198, CNJ 1204, an ex-NYC ballast hopper and an ex-PRR gondola.

The cars behind the Lion Gardner are on water-damaged track and we are planning to start track repairs this weekend, 10/28/06. This will probably involve moving the Lion Gardner across Route 209 temporarily. Here is a satelite photo of its current location:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... 531826.gif

Once the track is repaired, it is planned to move all these cars to a siding at West Hurley, MP 10.4.

EH

#310598  by dbaker4572

After seeing the photo of the Lion Gardner when it was in better shape, it's sad that it was left to rot by the ESRM. It looks like it was a nice car.

I recall Earl stating that it would be chopped up because it is so far gone, but I guess that is up to the ESRM to decide.
 #310671  by 244INMYPANTS!

I like where this thread is going!! Mr. Sample, could you please respost some of those stories that spurred the 500+ post!! I enjoy so thoroughly the reminiscent stories of the good ol' days. Or how about some new stories? I'm sure some were missed! I can recall some of those old posts, like when the song "Paint it Black" came on the radio when you were painting the 2525. How about when you guys had Hancocks stacked up like firewood? Some stories please!! They are so very entertaining!!
 #310701  by H.F.Malone

If you'd show up more often, 244, you'd hear some stories. You might even get to be a part of some of the future stories....
 #310736  by 244INMYPANTS!

Yes Mr. H.F. Malone you are correct, but the State of Maine has charged me with molding the minds of a 100 young people...mwhaha! I will be down soon, I really do miss it. Until then though, I need my fix up here in the boonies.
 #310751  by H.F.Malone

So that's where you went. Watch out for MOOSE.

#311049  by red baron

Ratzafratza.
Zoorama.
 #311060  by 244INMYPANTS!

Ok, so I procrastinating grading my 11th graders papers on Teddy Roosevelt and I need some good CVRM folklore to keep me reading for a half hour or so...please respond
 #311084  by H.F.Malone

....of the RED BARON!!!!

Where ya been? Not up in Maine, eh? Always nice to hear from ya. And for your eddy-fee-cashun, the Robbie-mobiles are no longe MOPAR products--- he recently showed up at Thomaston in a JAPANESE car (not a new one).

Ah, the poor old Lion Gardiner.... may it have a proper burial.

#315431  by dbaker4572

For those interested..

The temporary track work was completed on Saturday and the Lion Gardiner will be moved to the east side of RT 209 on Saturday, November 11, 2006. The President of the CMRR will be moving the LG and the rest of the stranded cars using a backhoe. It should be an interesting show. :-D

If you would like more information on next Saturday's event, please let me know.
 #315435  by eehiv

I looked at the Lion Gardiner last weekend while we were doing the cribbing work just west of the LG. The flooring is very deteriorated, and the frame itself looks pretty bad. Not sure what would happpen if you started sandblasting. However, sometimes these things can look worse than they really are.

I have been talking to the ESRM about finding a home for the car - most likely as a static display. It really needs a sugar daddy to restore it before it goes beyond the point of no return (hopefully this has not already happened).

EH