Railroad Forums 

• Alco RS3's, rebuilt and otherwise

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#305475  by BR&P

To get real technical, D&H did put a 251 into an RS3, believe it was their bicentenial unit. But yes, "stock" RS3s were 244s and most rebuilds were EMD prime movers.

#305545  by Matt Langworthy

According to my sources, at least 5 D&H RS-3s and 4 units from GB&W were upgraded to 251 engines by Morrison-Knudsen, rather than by the RRs themselves. Although the official term was TE-56, they are more commonly called RS-3Us.

All four of GB&W units survive today. Just one D&H TE-56 runs now- #506 on the Tioga Central. It is still in Bicentennial colors. :-D

#306014  by roadster

I remember years ago the OMID had a former BN RS-3 nad sitting by their office idling it seemed like it was about to cough and die before the governer caught and kept it cycling. Kinda like an old John Deere 2 cyclinder on steroids. Ok, 244's, gunna have to bone up on my Alco language dictionary again, got rusty of late. Too much GE and EMD flooding my brain cells of late. lol.
 #306131  by EDM5970

There were ten RS-3Ms on the D&H. These were done by M-K. The GBW units were done in-house at their Norwood shops. D&M had some units done by M-K, IIRC. There was also a lone 251 powered RS-3 on the L&N, and the C&NW had had a pair of wrecks rebuilt by Alco. These last three had RS-11 hoods.

There may have been others; the first units converted were in Portugal, BTW.

#306364  by scharnhorst

Come to think of it MKT had some ALCO RS Units converted with EMD Engions insted of redoing the hoods they reused hoods off of retired GP7's and GP9's.

#306393  by EDM5970

The MKT's half-dozen were factory re-engined by EMD, using current production GP-9 hoods. Since this took place in 1959, I seriously doubt that there were too many retired GP-7s and GP-9s around to contribute their hoods.
 #306994  by H.F.Malone

Sorry, guys-- if it doesn't have a 244, it's not a REAL RS-3. It's a rebuild and about as real and natural as a set of silicone 40DDs.
 #307041  by Noel Weaver

H.F.Malone wrote:Sorry, guys-- if it doesn't have a 244, it's not a REAL RS-3. It's a rebuild and about as real and natural as a set of silicone 40DDs.

I totally agree with this one, only an RS-3 is an RS-3. I visited a railroad
operation in Texas and they had an RS-2 running but when I heard it,
turns out that it was a Catapiller. Sad part was that one of the managers
thought they really had something great. It looked nice even if it did not
sound so nice.
Noel Weaver

#307083  by scharnhorst

Well even BC RAIL Listed there MLW RS-18's as RS-18CAT's to mark that they a Caterpiller under the hood.

#307088  by scottychaos

The only surviving D&H RS3u,
and..the only surviving 1976 Bicentennial unit that has NEVER been repainted from, and is still wearing, its original 1976 Bicentennial scheme!

With the Tioga Central, Wellsboro, PA:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=151614

Scot

#307266  by sallenparks

Slight mods Scotty but your right same Red White & Blue but the D&H had only eight of theses rebuilds 501 to 508 I never saw a 500 or 09 and the six hundreds where C628's so EDM I dont now where you got ten from.

#307420  by EDM5970

Just took a quick look at Steinbrenner's Alco book; D&H sent ten units to M-K but only got eight back. Numbers 501 through 508 is correct. For some reason that number ten stuck in my mind-

#307639  by sallenparks

What where the numbers on the other two their orig.'s I mean thinking back I think your right Ten where sent but only eight where done the D&H wasn't sold on them because of wheel slip if memory serves right.

#307660  by EDM5970

I only have the Steinbrenner book in front of me right now, and don't think I have the numbers of the two that weren't converted anyway. Perhaps someone on the D&H forum can help?

Steinbrenner lists 501 through 508 as being built from 4115, 4102, 4107, 4113, 4122, 4112, 4119 and 4128 respectively.

The late George Hockaday once told me that there were problems with the units not having enough cooling capacity, especially on a road assignment. This echoes the experience that GBW had with their RS-20s. As far as wheelslip, I've never read anything, but with type E controls and a little extra weight, there shouldn't have been any problems there.