Railroad Forums 

• Canon's repair service sucks

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#305461  by Tinsby

Just thought I'd brighten everyone's day that is using a 20D or similiar Canon digital SLR. Mine has been acting up since the beginning of September and has now been at Canon no less than 3 times with no satisfactory repair.

Each time it comes back, it has the same problem it left here with. The second to last time I sent it in, they had it for 3 weeks. I got no email or phone call to even cofirm they got it. I finally had to call them and demand they prove to me they actually had the camera and lens. Lo and behold the lady said " Oh, I found your camera... it was in a locked room." Seems like a safe place for it but why was it there? It seems some dolt MISREAD the label, even though it was a a pre paid FED EX label addressed to Canon, they 'thought' that it was sent to ME and returned to them as undelieverable!

I asked the woman " Just how long would it have sat there before you tried to contact me about it? " She had no answer.

So they tried to repair it again and failed, now it's back and the so called senior tech has it.

This is a camera that is less than a year old and is still under warranty along with both lenses, you would think that after the treatment I have received they'd be bending over backwards to expedite getting it back to me or replacing it. Not a chance of either happening.

It's a sad commentary since in the RAW mode the camera takes wonderful photos. But I agree with the magazines that say the Canon repair rate is too high, add to that the poor repair quality and you don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about your purchase.

The only thing the Canon repair service is good for is sending pre paid FED Ex labels, beyond that FORGET IT!

Good luck to all Canon users you can't do any worse than me!

Tinsby :(

#305732  by FiatFan

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. I just bought a Canon S3 IS and so far, it's working ok. I hope nothing goes wrong with it. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom

#305744  by keeper1616

What went wrong with your camera? I have to admit, I've never used Canon CS, but I've never had any problems with the cameras I have. I regularly use a 20D at work and have an S3 (amazing) of my own. I love the Canon sensor and the image quality it produces...

#305798  by pennsy

Hi,

Interesting problem. Since it is still under warrantee, you are pretty much handcuffed into using them. There might be another facility that can repair it within the limits of that warrantee. Have you spoken to the people that sold you that camera about such difficulties ? I once was in sales of VCRs and TV's and a similar problem occured with a VCR. The customer showed me all her paperwork, and I simply gave her a brand new one, attached a report to the bad unit, and returned it to the factory for credit. Simple solution to a complex problem. You might just try that.
 #306156  by Tinsby

keeper1616 wrote:What went wrong with your camera? I have to admit, I've never used Canon CS, but I've never had any problems with the cameras I have. I regularly use a 20D at work and have an S3 (amazing) of my own. I love the Canon sensor and the image quality it produces...
Hi!

The camera would stop taking photos whenever it felt like it, it was completely unpredictable and intermittant. I'd push the shutter button and all the information in the viewfinder would dim down but go out entirely, however the LCD display on the top of the camera was uneffected. Also the center focus LED in the viewfinder would light momentarily, and then go out,it wouldn't focus and wouldn't take a picture

Intially I could power cycle the camera and this would cause it to work again for a few shots then it would happen again, sometime later. When it came back from Canon the first time it acted up RIGHT AWAY the first time I put the 18-55 lens on the body, I called Canon immediately and they said " try another lens" so I put the 75 -300 zoom on it and it worked fine. So I got a Fed Ex label from them and sent it back that same day WITH the 18-55 lens, then it sat UNOPENED at Canon for 3 weeks until I called and raised hell asking what they were doing with it. That's when I got the " oh we found it in a locked room story" ....... they worked on it, allegedly, and sent it back, only to have it do the exact same thing AGAIN. Only this time when it went off it REALLY went OFF for LONG periods power cycling it wouldn't bring it back online.

Frankly I was hoping it would be totally DEAD when I sent it to Canon, let's face it it they can't duplicate the problem they will never be able to fix it. Sadly it started to work again before I sent it off to them :(

Now they have ALL my lenses and the body and here I sit cameraless.

Meanwhile the trees are changing color, and I just missed a fan trip with Bennett Levin's E-8's all thanks to Canon.

Regards,

Tinsby :D

#343907  by Mr. Toy

I have mixed feelings about Canon's service. I had a Powershot S50. One day the LCD screen went dead. Though it still made pictures, I just couldn't see what I was doing.

It was out of warranty, but I sent it in and they said they could fix it for $150. I sent the money and a short time later I got an e-mail saying the camera was repaired and on its way.

When it arrived, however, I found they had not repaired my camera. Instead there was a note indicating they could not repair it in the promised time, so they upgraded me to a refurbished S80. In many ways the S80 is a superior camera (more megapixels, wider angle lens, larger LCD) but the controls are much more finicky and can easily be changed by an accidental brush with the thumb while shooting, resulting in botched shots. Because of that, I don't think I would have chosen this camera if I was shopping for myself.

But I decided to keep it. This necessitated new memory cards, as it uses a different type. Canon was good enough to do an even exchange of cards for free, but it took several weeks to process.

My main complaint is they made the camera swap without asking for my consent first.

#343998  by metman499

While I personally use Pentax products, the newspaper photography department I supervise uses a Cannon DSLR. We recently had an unknown error (99) and they matched us up with a new body and sent it down in very short order. I was really impressed with their service at the time.
 #345834  by Tinsby

metman499 wrote:While I personally use Pentax products, the newspaper photography department I supervise uses a Cannon DSLR. We recently had an unknown error (99) and they matched us up with a new body and sent it down in very short order. I was really impressed with their service at the time.
Even after sending the camera back to Canon 2 more times I still get an ERR 99 on occasion! What it takes to get rid of that error is removing the battery and re installing it.

I don't think a camera that has ALL the PC boards replaced in it should have any errors at all.

So after the dust has settled I am left with a camera that I am not completely sure of. Doesn't bode well for the Canon service OR the camera. In spite of the fact it takes superb photos.

Cheers,

Tinsby