Railroad Forums 

• I "FOUND" A SET OF C-LINER TRUCKS

• Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.
Discussion of Fairbanks-Morse locomotive products. Official web site can be found here: www.fairbanksmorse.com.

Moderator: pablo

#298369  by GOLDEN-ARM

Working here on my latest property, I have been seeing a set of six-axle trucks, sitting on an abandoned spur. I dismissed them as some older GE trucks, at first. After studying them closely, I have determined they are old FM trucks, from a C-Liner type six axle loco. The trucks are complete, minus traction motors, with all brake rigging, bolsters and springs still intact. Wheelsets still have the ring geaar attached. Will share a pic, later, when I shoot one with my phone. (got pix, but no scanner) Any idea where they might have come from. The railroad here has NEVER owned any FM locos. I am in Oregon....... :-D

#298375  by pablo

I'm unaware of anyone currently needing C-liner trucks...but that doesn't mean a thing. Who owns them, and are they for sale?

Dave Becker

#298376  by GOLDEN-ARM

No idea, and I don't know. :-D

#298378  by pablo

Man, you're fast!

I would suggest that someone get a flat bed and go get them...but I always get yelled at for that sort of thing.

Anyone here? Anyone need a set of C-liner trucks?

Dave Becker

#298429  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Doyle McCormick got 3 sets of FM C Liner trucks for the PA's. The PA's were in Albany Oregon for a while. Ill bet thats the 3rd set

#298718  by GOLDEN-ARM

As promised, some pictures. Sorry for the quality, using a camera phone

#298760  by pablo

Wow. Great pics. For a camera phone, those are very good.

I noticed some rust or scaling on the top of one of those trucks. Did it look much worse than surface rust?

Dave Becker

#298768  by DutchRailnut

Are there two trucks (set) or only one truck ?? you may want to send location and pictures to Doyle McCormack (sp) at:
http://www.nkp190.com/contact.html

#298964  by EDM5970

My understanding is that they ARE Doyle's trucks (there were three sets) so he must know about them. There is more information on the Alco forum, PB-1 thread.

The truck work on the PAs was done in Albany, then the units were moved to Portland.

#298986  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, Pablito! (from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) Those trucks are solid. Some surface rust, and peeling paint, but solid, and intact castings, all around. All 8 brake cylinders are there, for both trucks, as well as all rigging. Only things missing are the motors, and the piping for the cylinders. On the brighter side, all the casting holes in the frames seem to be the ideal location, for hornets nests, as the things are full of them......... :P

#299018  by pablo

Yuck. Stay away from that. I heard here on Railroad.net that a PB is out and moving. Any word on that (even though this is the F-M forum...)

Dave Becker
 #299076  by H.F.Malone

One real mystery (to me at least) is that Bessemer lube date of 12/67, Greenville Shops. What the heck was a C-liner doing on the B&LE? And at that late date? By then, all of the US-road B-A1A C-liners were razor blades, no? Does DLM have the answers?

#299335  by EDM5970

I don't have anything on paper in front of me to support this, but I remember hearing/reading that the FMs were used as part of some sort of mobile rail welding set-up. I'm not sure if the O-Ps and main generators were used, or if just the carbodies were used with rail welding equipment or gensets inside.

Perhaps the welding contractor was out in B&LE land, and B&LE serviced the equipment? Again, I'm going on memory here, but I do know someone that may have the answer, and I'll ask him this weekend.

#299641  by rdganthracite

EDM5970 wrote:I don't have anything on paper in front of me to support this, but I remember hearing/reading that the FMs were used as part of some sort of mobile rail welding set-up. I'm not sure if the O-Ps and main generators were used, or if just the carbodies were used with rail welding equipment or gensets inside.

Perhaps the welding contractor was out in B&LE land, and B&LE serviced the equipment? Again, I'm going on memory here, but I do know someone that may have the answer, and I'll ask him this weekend.
The welding trains used Erie Built B units not C liners. Somewhere in my files I have a photo of one of the Erie's in welding train service in Harrisburg. It looked strange painted in a solid baby blue.

#300092  by Tadman

Didn't the Monongahela railroad have some FM power? Or was that sharknoses? If it was FM, they could have used a contractor on the B&LE - pure speculation though.