Railroad Forums 

• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#291499  by chuxter26

The 5600 series usually measure between 15'6 and 15'8-too high for the Morristown Line east of Denville(15'5 restriction)

#291527  by nick11a

blockline4180 wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Shark wrote:The NS H-02 traded in the 5638 for an ex-Lehigh Valley GP38AC #310, now NS GP38-2 #5655 at Washington yard this morning.
So, they still got the 3054. They've had that one for a while. Well, with the tons of GP38-2 rebuilds recently, they need to have at least one "old style" GP38-2 or 40-2 or whatever so that they can do Reheis with the wires in Summit with the problem of the rebuild 38-2s and 38-3's horns not having enough clearance for the wires there.
Nick,

A few years after the NS takeover of Conrail I remember seeing a B40-8 fly past me at Convent Station. I don't know if he went all the way down to Summit, but it is possible. I don't know the height or width of those engines, but they must be similar or taller then the rebuilt GP38-3's. So I don't know how true that is about the rebuilds not clearing the wires in Summit.
That would have been a sight to see. :-) But the issue with the height with the rebuild 38-2s and 38-3s is purely horn related.

#291538  by Shark

blockline4180 wrote: A few years after the NS takeover of Conrail I remember seeing a B40-8 fly past me at Convent Station. I don't know if he went all the way down to Summit, but it is possible. I don't know the height or width of those engines, but they must be similar or taller then the rebuilt GP38-3's. So I don't know how true that is about the rebuilds not clearing the wires in Summit.
The ex-Conrail GP38's and 40's barely clear the wire in Summit. Most of the GE's are lower than EMD's. The B40-8 is 15' 3" above the cab mounted antenna. The ex-CR GP's are around 15' 3". The ex-Conrail B23-7's that have been retired were the lowest engines with a height of 14' 11" over the top of the long hood of the radiator.

#291542  by blockline4180

Shark wrote:
blockline4180 wrote: A few years after the NS takeover of Conrail I remember seeing a B40-8 fly past me at Convent Station. I don't know if he went all the way down to Summit, but it is possible. I don't know the height or width of those engines, but they must be similar or taller then the rebuilt GP38-3's. So I don't know how true that is about the rebuilds not clearing the wires in Summit.
The ex-Conrail GP38's and 40's barely clear the wire in Summit. Most of the GE's are lower than EMD's. The B40-8 is 15' 3" above the cab mounted antenna. The ex-CR GP's are around 15' 3". The ex-Conrail B23-7's that have been retired were the lowest engines with a height of 14' 11" over the top of the long hood of the radiator.

That clears things up! Thanks!

#293222  by blockline4180

I don't think H-ZERO-TWO has worked since Friday. I could be wrong, but the power was picked up in Washington and there is nothing in Dover or anywhere else. However, Washington has about 50-60 cars to be picked up.

#293242  by Phase Gap

H0-2 is enroute to Washington in a taxi to pick-up the power and cars and make all stops east from Washington.....

#293251  by washingtonsecondary

What is the power for H-02 now? is it 'new' or is it what they had last week?

#293255  by blockline4180

washingtonsecondary wrote:What is the power for H-02 now? is it 'new' or is it what they had last week?
Should be "new", but I don't know what it is...

#293506  by Shark

The H02 had a high hood remote control ex-CG GP38-2 #5226 and an ex-Conrail GP40-2 #3051 in Washington yard. The 5226 was swapped for a 5600 series rebuild GP38-2 for the run east. There was a Maine Eastern dining car on the hind end.
 #294692  by pumpers

This was between Washington and Phillipsburg on the
Phillipburg line I think.
Not even flashers at the crossing.
I can't believe in this day and age there are still regularly active
grade crossings in NJ without at least flashers.
Seems almost criminal to me.

JS

Truck-train crash kills Easton father of four
'Great husband' loved football and NASCAR
Thursday, September 14, 206
By DANIEL HAUSMANN and COurtney Lomax
The Express-Times
GREENWICH TWP. | A 32-year-old Easton man died Wednesday when a train collided with the dump truck he was driving on Richline Hill Road.

rest of story at http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... 2#continue
(You might need to log in, free accoutn).

#294727  by washingtonsecondary

oddly enough, the stretch of track between hackettstown and washington has flashers at the crossings. I wonder why conrail then NS never put them in west of Washington.

#294754  by blockline4180

washingtonsecondary wrote:oddly enough, the stretch of track between hackettstown and washington has flashers at the crossings. I wonder why conrail then NS never put them in west of Washington.
Don't know, maybe Conrail had plans to abandon that portion since there is only one customer left between Washington and P'burg. Who knows! Anyway, it was the H65 from Allentown that hit the truck and killed the driver.

SMP
 #296471  by General

pumpers wrote:This was between Washington and Phillipsburg on the
Phillipburg line I think.
Not even flashers at the crossing.
I can't believe in this day and age there are still regularly active
grade crossings in NJ without at least flashers.
Seems almost criminal to me.
Nothing criminal about it. There are crossings on main line tracks with only crossbucks or stop signs. These are usually private crossings or streets with very little traffic. At most of these crossings it is not required to ring the bell or blow the whistle, but it is done anyway.

#296476  by washingtonsecondary

The line west of Enola has just crossbucks at the crossings and that area sees more trains in a day then the Washington Secondary sees in a month.

#298843  by washingtonsecondary

I saw an acid tank car at Blue Ridge/Georgia Pacific in Denville today. Anyone know what that was doing there? Seemed odd to me that a car, presumably for Rheis would be set off on the Booton Line. Maybe it has a faulty truck?