Railroad Forums 

• Official SIRR Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#283407  by blockline4180

TheBaran wrote:Rails are being lifted from the old interchange track between the Lehigh Line and the SIRT. Track still in place near the SIRT connection, however, up by the Lehigh Line the rail and some ties have been removed. The equipment is still at the site, so I assume the rest of the rail will be lifted next week.
LOL, so I guess it is safe to assume the Rahway Valley Line is officially dead! It is rather depressing news :( since this time last year it was pretty much known that the line had a good chance of being restored!! Don't you love NJ politics?

#283411  by TheBaran

That interchange was never in the picture for the restoration. The connection to the Lehigh Line was removed 2 years ago. The remaining track just sat unused. They actually restored the switch on the SIRT side when they restored that line (new switch and about 100 feet of restored interchange track). Nothing else restored beyond that; the old rail simply disappeared into the overgrowth. I guess the price of scrap steel got too high to ignore the abandoned rail.

#284478  by BigDell

Wow....

Hard to believe all that went for naught....

I really expected we would see SOMETHING happening by this time....
Very sad indeed....

BigDell

#284936  by CNJFAN

What can a person say?
That's politics for you!!!

#285034  by MickD

Was anything ever started east from Summit??Was the right of way ever
cleared to lay new track??

#285403  by CJPat

I believe none of the Summit work was sarted and was intentionally left for last because it would require the replacement of several bridges (most costliest part of the project). A little shrub clearing was reportedly conducted in the vicinity of the golf course but I think that was dismissed as being conducted by a utility company.
 #288186  by Legio X

I passed by the AK Bridge last week while using the Goethals Bridge going to/from the Shore. The bridge looks like it has been repainted and there were a couple of workers walking on the catwalks on the east end tower. I remember the last time I passed by, last summer, there was grafitti on the bridge and not a soul to be seen. Good to see things moving ahead with returning the bridge to service.

When will the first train cross the bridge, and what line will be pulling it?
 #288187  by blockline4180

Legio X wrote:I passed by the AK Bridge last week while using the Goethals Bridge going to/from the Shore. The bridge looks like it has been repainted and there were a couple of workers walking on the catwalks on the east end tower. I remember the last time I passed by, last summer, there was grafitti on the bridge and not a soul to be seen. Good to see things moving ahead with returning the bridge to service.

When will the first train cross the bridge, and what line will be pulling it?

Probably sometime in October and the service will be provided by both CSX and NS, NOT M&E as some foamers tend to think. I advise this post to be moved to the NJ rail forums as it would be more appropriate there.

#288252  by MickD

Is Travis Branch active or will it be in the future?

#288502  by CNJFAN

I was sitting here wondering why this was placed in the M&E Thread.
It looks to me like the M&E is way out of the picture.
Not being a wise guy, just pointing it out.

#288527  by blockline4180

CNJFAN wrote:I was sitting here wondering why this was placed in the M&E Thread.
It looks to me like the M&E is way out of the picture.
Not being a wise guy, just pointing it out.
I'm sorry if I was being a wise guy with my previous post.... :P

#288699  by CNJFAN

LOL....I wasn't implying you were being wise at all, sorry if I gave that impression.
Have a great holiday weekend despite the rain.

#288983  by kilroy

Is Travis Branch active or will it be in the future?
Is that the line out to the NYC Sanitation site? If so, it will be activated. SRS inspected the line in late May or early June and found a couple of defects that need to be fixed, otherwise the line was fine with several new tracks put in.

#297206  by TheBaran

Update on an earlier post (August 19th). The rail and tie removal from the old SIRT / LVRR interchange looks to be completed (based on a quick look from the Parkway overpass). They really cleaned-up the old interchange...not only is the rail gone, but the ties have been lifted and stacked and the roadbed (looks to be cinders) has been groomed.