Railroad Forums 

• TRUTH OR RUMOR ?

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#265326  by Alcoman

I am sure that we can all appreciate information regarding ALCOS that is posted here. But I want to make special request......
If the information is TRUE, name the source or at least indicate that the source is from railroad mangement or a reliable source within the railroad. No need to mention names if it is not possible, otherwise if the information is RUMOR, then say so.
From now on, if the person makes a statement regarding ALCO locomotive sales,scrappings,or retirements that does not indicate that the information is a rumor or fact as stated above, the post will be removed.
Check your sources of information before you post.
As readers, we want to believe the writers, so lets be careful on what we say.
As a writer, it's your credibilty on the line.
Thank you

Alcoman-moderator

#265355  by DutchRailnut

If sources need to be named nobody from rail industry will post here anymore and railroads will just get more secretive, my opinion bad idea.

#265449  by Alcoman

DutchRailnut wrote:If sources need to be named nobody from rail industry will post here anymore and railroads will just get more secretive, my opinion bad idea.
Very few railroads post here anyway. We know that the ones that do will leave thier name and will identify who they work for.
Otherwise, who would you beleive? A railroad official or some poster who we don't know from adam.

#294642  by railwatcher

"Informed sources" is a good way to give info, without naming names. This lets us be aware that the writer has been priveledged this information and maybe from a source that doesn't necessarily want his name used. I would say that would be considered fact of the matter. As for any other, guesses, they are just that guesses or speculation. There are several people on the net that speculate "as fact." And, it is annoying at best, (surprisingly to include a few that have their own websites they have dedicated to their "pet" railroad) when dealing with their guesses. As a moderator of a forum, I watch out for what appears as speculation and do my best to let it be known that it is just that, "a guess" even if it is an educated guess.

Not being a railroad employee or a former railroad employee, but having the desire to watch and learn from the sidelines can be clouded by speculations. Sometimes the net is the only way to find out this information because they don't have employee access to the trade. And worst yet, then they get repeated by the readers as fact.

Greg Graves, LAL forum moderator

#451199  by Patrick

Very few railroads post here anyway. We know that the ones that do will leave thier name and will identify who they work for.
Otherwise, who would you beleive? A railroad official or some poster who we don't know from adam.

With me being new to the site, I dont want to argue with you, but thats an untrue statement. Alot of railroad people, such as my brother who is a trainmaster may view this forum as a guest and some of his employees could catch heck for posting info with Names and such. Never thing that just because they dont say so, that they dont work for a railroad. Alot of railroads have rules against giving out info on these types of boards and such. LSRC I know for a fact dosent' like it. I just wanted to point that out to you.