Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#289083  by RichM

Flaming as it was is past, just our complaining about redundant postings and questions.

And I think most of us agree with you completely. Propane can be delivered successfully, NYS&W does this now, as well as some CO2 distribution. The issue in New Jersey is frequency of service and density of customers. Since there are daily/nightly drills, 1-2-3 car drops aren't a problem.

On the other hand, while the branch has greater distances and extremely low population density, you're also "beyond the mains" as far as natural gas distribution, a propane terminal or two probably makes a lot of sense, as does a trash transfer station.

It sounded from some of your earlier posts you are or were involved in politics in the area. Other than the power line, what's the climate for any of this happening?
Last edited by RichM on Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

#289168  by charlie6017

Hi Joe & Rich--that wasn't directed toward you guys............they know who they are. I just wanted to re-direct this back into a good informative thread as it was before. Sorry if you thought that was at you guys.......

Charlie
 #289438  by JoeCollege

I am involved with politics on a village level only, although being a small area I know most of the players politically and economically.

I think the local political environment would support any activity that would generate even a few jobs. A propane or heating oil terminal would to me make a ton of sense. Ideally the biodiesel plant in Norwich will come to fruition but I doubt it. Village boards here tend to view NYSW and WR in particular in a negative light; the railroad pays zero taxes, provides zero service and is less than cooperative when it comes to streets and water/sewer issues. Since the line bisects most municipalities these things pop up at times.

Of course business has to want to use rail, but with todays prices some could be encouraged it would seem. Sherburne Metal Products went away from rail, I am told, due to rate increases and poor service. They were a decent shipper. Raymond in Greene brings in a lot of steel for their lift trucks that could be shipped to Greene or nearby and transloaded. Quest International brings in raw bulk product but sits on top of the tracks.

I think the local political environment would support rail especially if they understood the benefit in reduced truck traffic and possibly jobs.

#289621  by O-6-O

If the Utica side is abandond will it make sense to keep car and loco
service in Utica? Will NYS&W move this operation to Bingo? Most of the
yard is cleaned up and it sure looks like somethings up to me. The Oneida
CO. IDA should persue GVT to run the UT to Burn section if needed.( I
have no idea if they are even interested). Without the Utica side the
chances of ever seeing steam in Utica again are about nill. Sad.

#289707  by Noel Weaver

After reading everything, I still would not be surprised if the NYS&W
decided to fix up the Utica line after all.
I think some on here are racing their motors, let's sit back a little bit
longer and see just what happens.
Noel Weaver

#289763  by deezlfan

Most of the yard is cleaned up and it sure looks like somethings up to me.
The clean-up was in progress before the damage from the floods IIRC. The auction notice for excess equipment was up before the storms, correct?
Without the Utica side the chances of ever seeing steam in Utica again are about nill.
Yes, quite true. Since being sold to NYSWT&HS, the 142 is heading up a full schedule for most of the year, [May 1st to Thanksgiving and a Santa Train], so there may not have been another opportunity anyway.

Maybe WR could spend some of his personal wealth on some scuba gear and set off on an expedition to the Bay of Bengal. The 141 is only in 6000ft of water. He has pulled off some pretty amazing and so-called impossible feats in the past, so you never know......

I hope that the line is fixed as not repairing it is short sighted and irresponsible.

#291924  by EDM5970

How is 120 going to a rebuilder at Danville related to the Utica line, other than the fact that both are NYSW?

#291999  by amoreho1

well must be you havent read the last 2 pages of posts nysw is cleaning up the utica facility thats what it has to do with this thread that loco was at utica

#292115  by ANDY117

120 is going to Dansville to become the switcher at their facility.

#292117  by Steve F45

3618 on its way back from rebuild, might be ready for a 100 by Sunday into monday?

#292214  by EDM5970

Actually, I've read all pages on this thread. Is the Utica line the only place where NYSW can use an SW-7? Or is there something about Utica that requires the assignment of that specific locomotive? There is nothing on any of these several pages that ties these two entities together.

#292219  by amoreho1

it had been stored up there

#307152  by dansapo

Any new news about this line.Will the state kick in money to fix up?Has any of the communities shown any interest in saving rail service?

#307275  by ANDY117

Supposedly there's an OCS from utica to Ridgefield Park this weekend. not sure how they'll get down there though. CSXT to Syracuse, then SY main to Binghamton?

#307355  by trainfreak

From what ive heard it was doing Syracuse to Little Ferry...but thats only what i heard.