Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#286657  by Alcoman

This thread is ment to be a source of information for those looking for an Alco to purchase.
Just learned of this two Alcos which are now for sale:
Knox & Kane RS-36 # 70 If nobody purchases the unit, it will be scrapped.
LNA&C RS-11 # 367 is still for sale via a broker.

#286667  by RS-3

Some additional background. I *think* both units are essentially ready to run with only some minor storage issues. (I don't mean to imply they are in perfect shape, only that they both were in service at the time of their storage.) K&K 70 is ex-N&W, nee NKP and was (I believe) in service when the railroad shut down last year.

LNA&C has been in storage since its purchase about 3 years ago but I believe it was runnable when acquired. LNA&C simply didn't need its service but acquired it for another venture. Its often listed as a RS-11m having apparently been upgraded at some point. Its ex-Maine Coast, ex-N&W and has dynamic brakes.

I would hope both of these units find good homes. In this day and age of a limited number of good servicable Alcos on the market, both of those units should qualify as "keepers".

If I understand right the LNA&C C-420 is also available from the broker. It is also in good condition. It was acquired from the IAIS who acquired it from the GB&W/WC. Its a 1980 rebuild from GE at Hornell and is ex-L&HR 27.

Corrections and updates welcome.

RS-3

#286681  by BrianM

Anyone have info on the broker for the C420????????

Brian

#286698  by Alcoman

BrianM wrote:Anyone have info on the broker for the C420????????

Brian
Brian, check your PM
John

#286760  by Alcoman

The photos show one of each.

#287036  by BrianM

I just spoke with the broker. A very nice gentleman to speak with. The C420 is NOT for sale. She is private owned. The RR will be keeping the RS36 as well. The only unit that is still for sale on the RR is the RS11.

Brian

#287083  by pablo

So, both the K&K RS-36 and the LNA&C C-420 are not for sale?

Dave Becker

#287093  by RS-3

I think he meant the LNA&C RS-36 is not for sale (ex-IAIS, ex-D&H). The K&K RS-36 (ex-NKP/N&W) should still be for sale as well as the LNA&C RS-11 (ex-Maine Coast, ex-N&W).

BTW, Ohio Central's C-420 should be for sale (as is every unit on the rr.)

RS-3

#287101  by Alcoman

RS-3 wrote:I think he meant the LNA&C RS-36 is not for sale (ex-IAIS, ex-D&H). The K&K RS-36 (ex-NKP/N&W) should still be for sale as well as the LNA&C RS-11 (ex-Maine Coast, ex-N&W).

BTW, Ohio Central's C-420 should be for sale (as is every unit on the rr.)
Now...if someone in the Northeast could buy the OC 400...Very special T-6.

RS-3
That is correct RS-3...

#287133  by pablo

Now I'm even more confused. Every unit on the OCRR is for sale?

I have a picture someplace of the K&K unit...was it a cheaply done chop nose job, or am I thinking of another unit?

Dave Becker

#287135  by Alcoman

I could be wrong, but OC will sell any Alco it has ...for the right $$$$.

The K&K RS-36 is a N&W unit. It has its as built nose. You may be thing of the GP-9 which has a chopped nose.

#287156  by BR&P

Although the K&K RS36 came from N&W, it was originally NKP, that's why it has the factory low nose. True N&W RS36's had a high short hood.

#287329  by RS-3

Re the Ohio Central, Alcoman has it right, they will sell any locomotive they have and in fact do a quite brisk business in doing just that. From SD40-2s to Alco switchers to F units. Their C-420 is ex-Erie Mining and was recently used on the NRHS trips, the first time I've seen or heard of it being in service. I believe it has dynamic brakes too. They also have a chopped nosed RS-18 and a C-424, both also ex-Erie Mining. In addition to that they have a RS-3 (ex-Long Island) and some Alco switchers. You need a locomtive they have one, for a price.

RS-3