Railroad Forums 

• NYSW -ALCO's to be retired

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#285649  by Steve F45

sallenparks wrote:Well their not all dead yet 3664,3668,3670,& 3674 where down in Bingo today.
3674 and 3670 died on the su99 on tuesday. Didn't even make it 4 miles from little ferry.

#285779  by pablo

John, I didn't say that I wanted to "dis-improve" them. I was answering a question. I don't know enough about the 251 plus to know either way if that would help.

Dave Becker

#285869  by M630

Where do the units [that are in service...] usually work these days? I might be in Scranton next month and am contemplating if a trip up to Binghamton is worth it...

#286010  by Steve F45

they work from bingo to little ferry. But on occaisions you may not seet one for a few days. Only 1 came down on todays 100, which means the original 3 i mentioned are still up in bingo.
 #286476  by N_DL640A

WELL!!!
There are certainly lots of rumors flying around here!

The facts are:

ALL the ALCOs are "well worn" to say the least!

NYSW isn't currently in the process of retiring the ALCOs.

Not all of the ALCOs have plus engines.

Only 3 units have computers in place of the blue face cards, including the OOS 3660 (ex 78). All others except 3668 (ex 47) have smaller computers controlling a limited number of functions in addition to a full set of blue cards.

The computers have had much of the French in them translated to English, but that isn't even half the battle. Troubleshooting is 200% easier, however!

The units still have standard govenor and fuel rack. No EFI for them.

The computers applied to the Cartier units are NOT specifically designed for use on a locomotive or any other specific application.
They are however a General Electric product (GE Fanuc to be exact) just NOT made by the GE tranportation Div.
There are three major classes, defined by their capacity / application: the 90-20, 90-30, and 90-70. 90-70s are installed in place of blue cards. 90-20 and 90-30 are applied in addition to blue face cards.
They are a standard industrial microprocessor (Programmable Logic Controller AKA "PLC") and can be applied or retrofitted to most any analog or digital system. They can control the heating system in your house, an electrical grid, a bottling plant, waste water treatment facility, heavy mining equipment, you name it.
These units operate on 24VDC so certain sensors and circuits were reconfigured to accept this new spec.

QCM added lots of difficult and redundant features that would shut the unit down, dump water, prevent loading, etc... if any "conditions" were experienced considered by the QCM people to warrant such action. The programs were written and applied in house by QCM people.

In addition, the system doesn't hold up very well under the HARSH loco conditons (on/off duity cycle, heat, cold, vibration, dirt).

If they were a genuine GE Trans product (super 7 or Bright Star) the elec. side would work great.

The Cartier took a computer system that they were already using on the mining equipment, etc... and tried it out on their locomotives. Frankly I think this was a well intentioned project gone a little too far by some folks with a little too much time on their hands.

I hope this clears up a few things!

BTW... not to give away too much, but there are some interesting things going on behind the scenes for one unit... keep your eyes peeled...
 #286483  by Steve F45

N_DL640A wrote:WELL!!!
BTW... not to give away too much, but there are some interesting things going on behind the scenes for one unit... keep your eyes peeled...
i've heard one of the alco's is getting a brand spanking new engine and full rebuild...... am i right, what do i win? :-D

#286491  by N_DL640A

Unfortunately (for the two demos) a new engine is not what I was referring to. I haven't heard about any engine changes on the horizon for any of the ALCOs.
I can't specify further yet... that would be jumping the gun a little at this point.

#286508  by Alcoman

Here is some additional info I received from an unamed insider:
The information you got is not completely true. NYSW is working on one of the units at this time to remove the computer from the locomotive. This is the test to see if it works or not. If it works the rest of the fleet that have them will get them removed as time allows. Not all of the units have the computer system either.Some still have the blue cards that they were built with and still
others have a mix of both. I just replaced a head on one of them today in
Binghamton and it will be going out sometime this weekend on a train. The
railroad is not sure what they are going to do with the locomotives at this
point but it don't seem that they are goin away just yet.

#286537  by pablo

This seems to be a far cry from the rumor spread everywhere that these would be retired.

Dave Becker

#286547  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:This seems to be a far cry from the rumor spread everywhere that these would be retired.

Dave Becker
"NYSW isn't currently in the process of retiring the ALCOs."

It appears to me that attempts are being made to keep them running alot longer. I am all in favor of that idea. Now to see at least one in NYSW colors......

I think at this point, we can put the rumors to bed. Lets close this discussion with the idea that its seems safe to say that ALCOS ar NOT being retired.