Railroad Forums 

• C-628 DOES EXIST !!!!!!!!!!!

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#273844  by scottychaos

GA,
im still looking for three LV U-boats in Texas!
if one of them ever shows up, that would be a possibility for your New Mexico operation! and not too far away, relatively speaking..

too bad you couldnt find out anything about the SW1..
well, even if you cant find out anything for now, meanwhile it looks like she isnt going anywhere! :wink:
so if something should come up, she will still be sitting there waiting..hopefully.

Scot

#274104  by Tadman

Long live the C628. I'm still pissed at CNW for scrapping the ex-NW units from northern Michigan, and that's something I rarely say as I understand railroads aren't museums.

#274343  by GOLDEN-ARM

The vandals have started "working" on the 112, and it seems she might just die, where she sits......... :(
Haven't heard of LV U-boats in Tx. Where did you think they might be? I have contacts all over the state, from SP, UP, TBRR, PNRR, DGNO, TNMR etc. I can have confirmation, if you can name a property, or locale........ :wink:

#274420  by scottychaos

GA,
here is the info on the three missing "Texas" LV U-boats..
I have been posting this pn various forums for years..

Four of the original twelve LV U-boats have once belonged to Texas
Utilities..two came to Texas in 1993, and two in 1998.
Only one of the three is currently accounted for (On the Blacklands
Railroad, in Sulpher Springs, Texas )..the other three are "missing"

the three missing units are these:

Lehigh Valley U23B 505
to Conrail 2781
to Reading & Northern 2394
sold by R&N in 1998 - to RMDI,
sold to Texas Utilities by RMDI
To Texas Utilities 2394

Lehigh Valley U23B 506
to Conrail 2782
to Reading & Northern 2393
sold by R&N in 1998 - to RMDI,
sold to Texas Utilities by RMDI
To Texas Utilities 2393

Lehigh Valley U23B 507
to Conrail 2783
to Texas Utilities 6/23/1993

Scot

#274576  by GOLDEN-ARM

Silly question, I'm sure, but has anyone attempted contact, with them? I will give it a shot, here, I guess.......... :wink:

#274911  by N. Todd

We have a couple of Alco S units, at the end of our line... They appear to be a S-6 and possibly a S-11
S-11, the Canadian thing? Where is this yard? I know someone who might be interested in the S-6.

#275057  by GOLDEN-ARM

Next trip down, I will go inside, and scavenge around the cabs, and see if there is any type of ID, on board.

#279417  by Tadman

Ever read the article in TRP about those U-boats? The crews hated them, as they would not load up most of the time.

#279449  by scottychaos

Tadman wrote:Ever read the article in TRP about those U-boats? The crews hated them, as they would not load up most of the time.
You mean when some of the LV U-boats were running on the Reading & Northern?
yeah, I think I did read that..
but the units were on their last-legs at that point..junkers.
not really a fair assesment..

Scot
 #300822  by Matt Langworthy

GN 599 wrote:So Golden Arm is there a chance that this possible survivor is an ex LV motor?

Sorry, not a chance at all. Conrail sent all of the LV C-628s to the scrapper around 1979. Now, the mystery unit could be ex-D&H because they did sell their C-628s to NdM around 1978.