Railroad Forums 

• CRRNJ Bridge that crossed the Hackensack at Jersey City???

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#270636  by mlm17

Dear Railroad History Buffs,

My name is Marisa Mejia, and I am doing a report on the History of the Hackensack River Bridges. I am trying to compile a list of all of the bridges that ever have/currently span the Hackensack River. I am trying to determine which organization constructed each bridge, for what, and when. I have been doing lots of research and have come up with a pretty good spreadsheet (which I would be happy to share, if you'd like to see it!) It is especially hard for me to gather information since I am in Sandy Hook, CT, and I have been trying to conduct most of my research via the net. (I realize that there is a wealth of information in the local New Jersey Libraries, and I wish it were easier for me to get down there and do the research in-person, but alas, travel is tough for me right now).

Does anyone know anything about the old CRRNJ Bridge that used to cross the Hackensack at Jersey City? It was south of and parallel to the Lincoln Highway Bridge (US 1-9 Truck Lift Span). From a current-day map, it looks like it ran from about Central Avenue at Kearny Point across the Hackensack to about Culver Avenue in Jersey City. I have seen it on some older maps listed as a CRR NJ Bridge, which I know was later taken over by Conrail, and someone told me that people now refer to it as the Conrail Bridge. It does not exist anymore, but I was wondering if anyone knows when it was constructed and subsequently demolished? I think it existed sometime between 1860 and 1934 (big span, I know). Are there any other names it has gone by that may lead me to more information?

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate your help!
Sincerely,
Marisa

#270679  by Dougster

The bridge you are speaking of was removed sometime in the late 1960's. It belonged to the CNJ and was never operated by Conrail, being removed way before that time. There was a bridge over the Passaic River of the same line that was used until around 1980 or so by Conrail until it too was removed. The line ran from the CNJ terminal in Jersey City and the Broad St. station in Newark. There was a station in Kearny above Central Ave. There is an abutment left from this line right at that location. There are still piers in the river from the bridge on both sides of the river. I don't know much about the Jersey City side of this. Hope this all helps.

Doug
 #270691  by CAR_FLOATER

Marisa -

If you go to Railfan.net, go to the Fallen Flags Index, and then the Jersey Central Forum, you will be able to search the photo index where you will find pictures and maps of said bridge, but also a thread entitled "Direct Line And Stations To Newark", which was the route this bridge was located on.

Hope this helps.

R. Heiss
Railfan.net CNJ Forum Moderator

#270932  by Ken W2KB

Dougster wrote:The bridge you are speaking of was removed sometime in the late 1960's. It belonged to the CNJ and was never operated by Conrail, being removed way before that time. There was a bridge over the Passaic River of the same line that was used until around 1980 or so by Conrail until it too was removed. The line ran from the CNJ terminal in Jersey City and the Broad St. station in Newark. There was a station in Kearny above Central Ave. There is an abutment left from this line right at that location. There are still piers in the river from the bridge on both sides of the river. I don't know much about the Jersey City side of this. Hope this all helps.

Doug
The CNJ Hackensack River bridge was hit and badly damaged by a ship in 1946. It was thereafter immediately abandoned. It was long gone by 1960. The line in Jersey City is now used by the Lightrail line as far as the West Side Avenue station (the CNJ had a station there.)

#270985  by Dougster

I stand (sit) corrected. I'm not old enough to remember that time frame. :-)

#271003  by Ken W2KB

Dougster wrote:I stand (sit) corrected. I'm not old enough to remember that time frame. :-)
I was born several years after the ship hit the bridge, but recall the tracks in place to the edge of the river on an elevated fill in the 1960's. Nothing ran that far west, though, by then.
 #1279229  by timz

Vaguely remember reading somewhere that CNJ wasn't allowed to just repair the bridge-- the Corps of Engineers or somebody said they had to improve it (Higher? longer span? don't recall). Abandonment was the alternative.

How long after that did passenger trains continue to West Side Ave?