Railroad Forums 

• Dont know if I'm wrong? (MNNR ALCO's DONE!!!!!!!)

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#264969  by sallenparks

But Andy Insera is a member of another forum I belong to and it seems to me that he thinks the alcos on the MINNESOTA COMMERCIAL are done. This is bad news if true.All should be saved but I find myself more worried about the 316&318 the last two RS27's anywhere.Any one know if the DL would be intrested.And I'm sorry in advance if I'm WRONG.

#265032  by Alcoman

Where did this information come from? Or maybe we should ask where Andy got his info from?

#265053  by sallenparks

Alcoman he stated on the Yahoo Alco forum he also goes to college out there I belive.He also does the Alco watch in TRP magazine.

#265110  by Alcoman

sallenparks wrote:Alcoman he stated on the Yahoo Alco forum he also goes to college out there I belive.He also does the Alco watch in TRP magazine.
Your right....Somehow I never received that message and here I am the group owner!

#265130  by BrianM

I never received that email from ALCO group either.

Brian

#265162  by sallenparks

Let me double check it and I think I should say sorry to Andy for spelling his last name wrong, I need sleep. SORRY ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#265163  by sallenparks

Let me double check it and I think I should say sorry to Andy for spelling his last name wrong, I need sleep. SORRY ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#265168  by sallenparks

Yep! it is there someone else said they saw M636CAT 71 at NRE in Silvis.

#265287  by N. Todd

I remember Andy saying that the RS-27s were to go to some museum when MNNR decides they are no long of use.

#265313  by EDM5970

Sallenparks, many of us know who Andy Inserra is, but what is the SOURCE of his information? Is it from the railroad (the horse's mouth) or is it railfan speculation?

I do remember reading, some time ago, that in an effort to keep the Alcos around longer, they were scheduling out-of-service periods for the Alcos, and adding GEs to the rotation. The GEs were seen as cheap and in good supply, as opposed to the Alcos. Is this what you, perhaps through Andy, are seeing?

Didn't the same sort of misinformation go around in regards to the A&M a year or so ago?

The source, please-

#265411  by sallenparks

That's a good question thats why I said if I'm wrong about it I'm wrong.He mentioned that a lot of them had been spending more time OOS then in service it might have been speculation I dont no for sure I guess I just got a little worried when I heard about it maybe jump the gun a little.I dont know if he talked to the railroad on the subject or not.It kind of sounded like he did though.Once again my BAD IF I'M WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #265517  by Komachi

I talk to Andy every now and then. From what I recall, he knows people who work for the Minnesota Commercial. He's never named names, but that's where his sources are regarding the MNNR.

The last time I asked him about this topic, he said that they were using the GEs to save wear and tear on the ALCo. units. They were not planning to sell/scrap any as of 5-6 months ago.

Just because they've sold the two big units doesn't necessarily mean that they're purging the roster. Besides, aren't parts more expensive for CATs than the 251s? That M636 CAT may have been dropped for economic/maintenance reasons.

But times change and I haven't spoken to him in a while, so I don't know what the current situation is. I can talk to him again and see what the news is.

#265768  by N. Todd

In the MNNR lunchroom they had a few Alco references, including a big poster of a C-628 drawing on a wall. But I agree with Komachi regarding the selling of the AlcoCat. It was clearly an oddball in their fleet- how many railroads have Caterpillar-powered road locomotives, not to mention big Alcos? Whatever the case, I'm glad I got to the big M's before I left. But what hasn't been answered, were these Alcos (M63x, C-424s, and an RS-18) put up for sale or did NRE give them a good offer?
 #265839  by Komachi

Okay, kids...

I contacted Andy in regards to this subject, hopefully he'll get back to me in the next few days or so.

As for the sale of the 424s and the RS-18, could it be that they were simply worn out and MNNR decided to sell them as sellable units instead of scrap? The only other reason I can think of for deep sixing the six axled units is that the Minnesota Commercial is a fairly light railed (to the best of my knowledge) railroad. Could those hulks be chewing up the rails and shortening their service life (more capital/infrastructure costs)? Just a thought.

Anyway, I'll let you know what Andy has to say as soon as I hear from him.

#265884  by M630

Here is what I know - RS3 1B [friction trucks] and C424 311 [bent frame] are leaving on flat cars as is one other unit from the looks of it. Cars with blocks ready for locomotive hauling are parked near the shops and talking to the crew working at the shops moving some of the dead Alcos they said take a good look because they are on their way out. And from a source higher up it sounds like they were given a good offer on the units that are leaving.

MNNR 71 is not at NRE, it came back last week and is back in St Paul again. Not sure what work was done on the unit down there... The RS27 units are said to be promised to museums so it looks like they would be safe.

This doesn't go for all the Alcos, some are still in service, some are on the rotation plan and stored waiting to re-enter service. But it does seem like they are trimming their excess fleet. Hopefully it is just a limited number of dead units leaving...

Andy